Pit for the furnaces

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
dallen

Re: Pit for the furnaces

Post by dallen »

belive me Mike I spend thirty six hours trying to get home from some sh%t hole place I been sent to strighten out other peoples F5&^&P's and I feel like I been drug thru a knot hole, my whole lumbar section is screwed and has my spine pinched about half in too. so lifes not to much fun anymore adn them that say oh yea I know how you feel , I want to squash llike a bug, cause they don't know what hurt is like till you got your whole lumbar section setting on the nerves and you can't walk but can't stop cause no ones gonna give you a ride in a cart going thru the damn airport.

Yep hit that fence at about 60 on a 800 Kaw. totaled th ebike, scratched up the leg of the gal that was riding with me, right arm caught the most damage but the windshield come pretty close cutting my throat, put a handfull of stickes in my chin.

So I feel pretty good every morning I wake up and say Hello World
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:belive me Mike I spend thirty six hours trying to get home from some sh%t hole place I been sent to strighten out other peoples F5&^&P's and I feel like I been drug thru a knot hole, my whole lumbar section is screwed and has my spine pinched about half in too. so lifes not to much fun anymore adn them that say oh yea I know how you feel , I want to squash llike a bug, cause they don't know what hurt is like till you got your whole lumbar section setting on the nerves and you can't walk but can't stop cause no ones gonna give you a ride in a cart going thru the damn airport.

Yep hit that fence at about 60 on a 800 Kaw. totaled th ebike, scratched up the leg of the gal that was riding with me, right arm caught the most damage but the windshield come pretty close cutting my throat, put a handfull of stickes in my chin.

You sure sound like you have it a lot tougher then me Dave,I sure don't envy you, I wake up in pain damn near every morning and it can take a little while for the bones and muscles to aline properly but if I keep moving about the pain diminishes somewhat and then I carry on through the day, I do on occasions toss and turn all night which is a bit of a pain

When I put the 650 through the barb wire fence I on my own and was just starting to lean into a corner that I had ridden around numerous times when the back end started doing a bit of a dance and instead of powering out of it this dough headed dick-head shut the throttle off, and that's when the real excitement started, the bike just took off, I took out the guide post on the side off the road, and not only broke the three strands of barb wire I also took one of the fence post out of the ground, after the technicolor seen stop flashing before my eyes ended up I was lying on my back beside the bike and about 10 feet from a tree that was on the lying on the ground ground, am I ever glad I didn't hit the fallen tree ,on the day I was lucky I was wearing a leather jacket and gloves, one of the wires ran from my glove up my arm and took the shoulder out of my jacket, at the time I always wore a open face helmet, but on that day for some reason I borrowed a mates full face, I had the visor down and there was scratched marks on the visor from the bard wire,and not one scratch on me, the gods of motorcycling were looking out for me that day

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
MortenSBech

Post by MortenSBech »

Harry wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm
This was from back in 2009 and had been posted over on the BYMC forum.

Well it has been some months but with the weather getting better I have gotten quite a lot done. I doubled the size of my shop, originally it was just the metal roof 11x22 lean too, dirt floor and only a 3up sure wall on one side. Now it is 22x24, concrete floor and walls on three sides. I finally have a place to get out of the high winds we have here and it stays dry inside :)

I am so happy, this really makes me want to get outside and work on some of things I have been wanting to do. On to the topic of this thread though.

Here is the pit formed up.

After the pour, I should have used my concrete vibrator, ended up with some uglies but it will serve its purpose.

Military surplus pallet. Probably used for carrying bombs in its past life. Now it will serve as a platform for the furnace, support the overhanging grating and a base for the steps after I cut off those big channels. The channel will be made into ingot molds.

The furnace is installed, the bottom of the lid is just over half an inch above the grate. The area around the pit will be filled with sand flush with the top of the grate.

A shot from inside the pit, stand welded to the base is 1" square tubing. Bottom of the pit will be filled with sand up to the top of the pallet.

This really beginning to come together nicely. Next step is to set up oil, air and electric lines so I can get the furnace functional again. The pit looks huge with that one lonely furnace in there but I wanted to be sure to have plenty of room down there if I need to get into the pit while the furnace is running plus did anyone think i would be stopping at just one furnace ;) Go big or go home :)
That is a great idea indeed.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Yes, Harry made a nice pit furnace set-up. unfortunately we lost the pictures between a hack and Photopuckit debacle. In my area, the pit would be full of water most of the time.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

mite5255 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm
dallen wrote:belive me Mike I spend thirty six hours trying to get home from some sh%t hole place I been sent to strighten out other peoples F5&^&P's and I feel like I been drug thru a knot hole, my whole lumbar section is screwed and has my spine pinched about half in too. so lifes not to much fun anymore adn them that say oh yea I know how you feel , I want to squash llike a bug, cause they don't know what hurt is like till you got your whole lumbar section setting on the nerves and you can't walk but can't stop cause no ones gonna give you a ride in a cart going thru the damn airport.

You sure sound like you have it a lot tougher then me Dave,I sure don't envy you, I wake up in pain damn near every morning and it can take a little while for the bones and muscles to aline properly but if I keep moving about the pain diminishes somewhat and then I carry on through the day, I do on occasions toss and turn all night which is a bit of a pain

When I put the 650 through the barb wire fence I on my own and was just starting to lean into a corner that I had ridden around numerous times when the back end started doing a bit of a dance and instead of powering out of it this dough headed dick-head shut the throttle off, and that's when the real excitement started, the bike just took off, I took out the guide post on the side off the road, and not only broke the three strands of barb wire I also took one of the fence post out of the ground, after the technicolor seen stop flashing before my eyes ended up I was lying on my back beside the bike and about 10 feet from a tree that was on the lying on the ground ground, am I ever glad I didn't hit the fallen tree ,on the day I was lucky I was wearing a leather jacket and gloves, one of the wires ran from my glove up my arm and took the shoulder out of my jacket, at the time I always wore a open face helmet, but on that day for some reason I borrowed a mates full face, I had the visor down and there was scratched marks on the visor from the bard wire,and not one scratch on me, the gods of motorcycling were looking out for me that day

Mike
GAWD I feel y'all's pain with regard to surviving a MC crash. Been almost 3 years since mine. Had all but one rib on my left side shattered into fragments; one shard through my lung; and my scapula broke in multiple pieces; not to mention all the road rash and lacerations I was bleeding out through before I got scraped off the roadside by an ambulance. That experimental surgery they applied to piece me back together with worked like a miracle. Aside from a stiff chest, numb from arm pit to belt line, and occasional sparks of pain from nerves trying to reconnect, I'm right as rain on a parched crop. Not really healing anymore as that's done and over with. Only limitations I have is what "I CHOOSE" to limit myself to. I can still work my ass off and grunt heavy loads.

Sold that bike a couple days ago. Pissed me off every time I looked at it. Now it's gone for good. Taking the money and buy'n another bike... same year, 15K miles, a Heritage Classic Softail (bagger). I'm look'n forward to get'n my knees back into the wind again.

As for any artwork (such as that bear), that, too, is still on hold. Been enjoying life instead, traveling and camping when the mood strikes, in our new 21 ft Sundance Camp Trailer we bought. Sure beats the shit out of sleep'n in a tent and have'n to crawl out of it at night to piss.

Also decided to go back to work. Applied for an armed security guard position for the Corps of Engineers guarding local Dams in the area. Passed all training and range qualifications like a pro. Still waiting to hear back on my security background checks as to whether or not I'm a terrorist, criminal, etc. I got that covered as well. Suffice to say retirement is boring as hell, more often than not. I'll take the added income and build myself a shed to work out of and get myself back into casting again by end of this summer. Main project I intend to finish is that frigg'n bear!!

Cheers...

F.C.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

The bear! Three cheers for the bear.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
The bear! Three cheers for the bear.

Richard
I agree ;) ;) ;) ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)