Flux

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
Rocco

Re: Flux

Post by Rocco »

Ordinary carbide tipped circular saw blades cut through aluminum rims like butter just make sure you wear all of the appropriate personal protection gear as the chip produced are pretty nasty.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Have done that also, plus cut up car bodies and barn tin when the occassion called for it. Guess I could just line the bottom of the big blue pig with sand and stand the wheel on top light the burner and sit back and sip ice tea while molten runs out the bottom.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Rocco wrote:Ordinary carbide tipped circular saw blades cut through aluminum rims like butter just make sure you wear all of the appropriate personal protection gear as the chip produced are pretty nasty.
Yeah, like screaming butter spewing near molten chips, hehe. I have cut up aluminum several different ways myself and for me the fastest and least amount of effort has been melting them. Some folks have simply used a bonfire for this, I would think a burn barrel with a spout on the bottom would be about the easiest setup but a tilting scrap furnace with a big enough holding capacity lets you control pouring which helps make for nice ingots.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I was out at my Daughter and son in-laws and they had a few stumps they wanted burned out and they were using a small galvanised tank over the stumps and filling it with timber then setting it all alight mmmmmmm I thought I had better grab a wheel or two and toss in, and in know time we had rivers of shiny silver metal rivers

I was thinking I might grab one of his 44 gallon drums, cut the top out , add holes down near the bottom for air and one hole for molten metal, put the drum on a stand on a angle fill with wheel and timber lite it and wait with the ingot moles at the ready

Mike
0731111410-01.jpg
0731111410-01.jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
0731111410-00.jpg
0731111410-00.jpg (140.61 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
0731111418-00.jpg
0731111418-00.jpg (134.23 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Harry wrote:
Rocco wrote:Ordinary carbide tipped circular saw blades cut through aluminum rims like butter just make sure you wear all of the appropriate personal protection gear as the chip produced are pretty nasty.
Yeah, like screaming butter spewing near molten chips, hehe.
Like I said, pretty nasty. But really quick and easy.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looks like a great way to get rid of stumps Mike and a nice side utilization of the heat being made.

Yeah Rocco, every method has its pros and cons. The important part is being able to fit it into a crucible and how you get there really doesnt matter.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Looks like a great way to get rid of stumps Mike and a nice side utilization of the heat being made.

Yeah Rocco, every method has its pros and cons. The important part is being able to fit it into a crucible and how you get there really doesnt matter.
And they have a few stumps to burn out and there's a mountain of dead wood lying about :Dso I had better get my chain off my son and get it sharpened
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Today I melted into ingots most of the two wheels that I had broken down in the fire, I also used the flux that I had got off you Harry, the flux work real well, the dross for the most part was very powdery

Mike
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That was what impressed me Mike, nothing like using the home made flux.
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:That was what impressed me Mike, nothing like using the home made flux.
Did you make that flux Harry

Mike