Pit for the furnaces

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Pit for the furnaces

Post by Harry »

Looks like you and Bob are the same age Richard... I know in a lot of crowds I am still a youngster but closing on 50 keeps giving me hints of things to come, dang magnifier glasses are laying all over the place now and a year ago I had never used them. Still see the tiniest things out three or four feet but my arms just aint that long when I want to read something I am holding.

Bob, A few months ago I set up a bench for pouring. It is only a couple of cinder blocks with a couple of 2 x 4s and a piece of heavy diamond plate steel I picked up on a job and is only about 12" high. That little bit though really helped me a lot in placing and retrieving flasks, I am 6' 4" tall and reaching all the way to the ground is a long way to go.

Always like seeing pictures of your setup, I cannot imagine how many people have pilfered this or that from your posts over the years. The 60 acres sounds incredible. I only have 2 1/2 right now but eventually we want to get a larger piece and build a house. The closest someone could build to us is a couple hundred feet but that property is pretty big so it would be unlikely, on the other side the neighbors have 10 acres and they built way to the other end so they are nearly a quarter mile away.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Amen,Richard,
I'm at the age of being thankful when I wake up,sit up,stand up and everything seems to be working(It's gonna' be a good day).
Harry, I hear what you are saying and the bad news is it ain't gonna' get any better,at least that's my experince so far after 74 years.
Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news for ya.The good news I'm still able to get out in the shop and have fun(just a little slower than before)
and the fun factor is just as keen as it always has been.....
Don
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hey BP, how ya doing? FDR was running for office the first time when we were born.

Wayne
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Hey Wayne,
Yeah, When he passed on I was confused 'cause I thought he was it,there wouldn't be any more presidents.WOW! little didI know LOL.
Don
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

blindpig wrote:Harry, I hear what you are saying and the bad news is it ain't gonna' get any better,at least that's my experince so far after 74 years.
I have to disagree a little on this. As 30 year smoker and being 250 lbs when I should be about 200 there is huge room for improvement... now if I can just make those steps. I know I will never get back to the powerhouse I was in my 20s and 30s but I can still make things happen. One of the nicks I used to have was "hurricane" because when I showed up on a job things started happening, when trying to get a job I would tell the foreman he could send two people home if he hired me and the truth is I would usually end up doing the work that three people did before. The combination of being a pretty big guy and smart enough to figure out the easy way to get things done along with a strong work ethic can make for a wide path of destruction ;)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Harry: I quit smoking after 30 years almost three months ago. So can you. Ask your doctor about Chantix. It takes away any reward (body rush) that you get from nicotine. You continue to smoke for a week or so while you start the medication. By the time your quit date rolls around, you will be ready because smoking becomes a time consuming annoyance more than anything. It gives you strange dreams, other than that it is ok. This drug makes smoking cessation much easier.

Now we both need to work on weight loss. I just want to get the foundry finished and one room in my house done, then there will probably be something else after that. Just one more thing mind you.

Barry
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Ike had been in a couple years when I came around. I remember the Cuban missile crisis and practicing the "Bend over and Kiss your Butt Goodbye" exercises in grade school. I had a good six pack at thirty and now I have a keg.
I have to agree with BP, somewhere in my 40's I started going downhill and have been picking up speed ever since.
The older I get the farther it is to the floor and, if I fall, the harder it is when I get there. Never really smoked or drank much.
But, mine is mostly genetics, no one in my family makes it past 70 so I've got 15 years left give or take 10. :roll:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Man, you guys are making me feel like a little greenhorn...I turned 31 this year, Reagan was prez when I squirted out, MTV and was just sprouting, and John Bonham had just bought the farm.

In the past 3 or 4 years, I took a position that moved me from the factory floor, into the offices. I saw it as a big promotion - I was now able to work with my mind, having proven myself through the sweat of brow, and strength of back. I now see it as a double edged sword - my backaches are now coming from the fact that my front sticks out a bit further nowdays :lol:. I really have to lose some girth. In HS, my fighting weight was 216. At only 6' even, that was already fairly robust. This past spring, I finally hit 250, and had to start buying bigger blue jeans...that was my big wake up call. I am disheartened by how tragic it is to me these days when my shoe comes untied.

I know they young girls no longer see me as a viable option, Im an old man to college girls now :lol:. But I still like to think in the back of my mind that age is only a number. But the fact remains that overweight is overweight. I feel like i need to lose weight just to be comfortable in my own skin. At my age, my father was 280 lbs, and at one point he was up to 380 :shock:. that was age 44 or so for him, and hes struggled to get back to 300...Im pretty certain hes not going to get much below that - its just harder to lose it as you age. I want to do something now, so I dont have to struggle later.

I know I Can do it, and have begun eating less - leaving a bit on my plate on purpose when I eat. I can tell myself "NO" when Im in line at the gas station and that candy bar calls out to me. I stop a few times a day and do a few push ups and sit ups at my desk at work. Im trying to walk more, and I always take the stairs. Im hoping that these simple changes will help. I smoked for 10 years, but have been quit for going on 3. They say that if you stop by age 35, a lot of the damage can be reversed by time. Im really hoping that is true.

You can do it Harry, just take a few small steps, and incorporate them into your daily routine. Before long, it will become habit, and then it will become your nature. You will feel better when you find yourself NOT doing whatever it is youre trying to change, and that small "win" will become your motivation to win next time, and the time after. I have really found these little changes to be rewarding.

...whew, just realized how ling and off topic this post was lol...sorry for the thread jack!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
dallen

Post by dallen »

guess I might as well fess up, I'm not as old as some in here, but then I'm not as young as some either. And after having 5 way Bypass surgery, almost crocking from a tiny little scratch on my leg that wouldn't heal up damn near killed me, and putting a motorcycle thru a 5 stran barb wire fence and waling away from that. I feel pretty rough at the end of the day and take everychance and idea that I can to make things easier for me in my quest for prefection in this hobby of metal casting that I have taken on.

Yes I use a bench to put my moulds on to pour, its some concret blocks stacked two high with a 8 foot long piece of bar grate 2 feet wide on top, it works great I can pull the crucible and set it on the bench in the pouring shank, turn around and grab the handle and walk down the length of the bench pouring moulds.
Same goes for my muller that I built it built it more for the mechanical help with mixing the sand then mixing oil based sand. But now I can do both.

I just wish that I would of done something like this 20 years ago an maybe I wouldn't of had to of had that surgery, which lasted about a year before they told me that one of the bypasses was plugging back up.

Anyway glad ya'll let me hang out, now if I can get my hindend out of Argentina and back home, I need to cast me a new Wheel arm of my muller out of some old bearing housings that I got down in texas. See if my sand will handle some real heat.

DAvid
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:, and putting a motorcycle thru a 5 stran barb wire fence and waling away from that. I feel pretty rough at the end of the day and take everychance and idea that I can to make things easier for me in my quest for prefection in this hobby of metal casting that I have taken on.

DAvid
Wow David 5 strands thats a lot of barb wire to try and duck under, I always thought I was doing good to survive a 80 mph run through a 3 strand barb wire fence in 1975 and without a scratch but it sure messed my back up which I have had trouble with ever since , plus it was just 2 months before me and the bride we were to be married, and to top it off it wasn't my bike, it was my younger brothers tx 650 Yamaha and he was suitably impressed about the whole episode :roll:

As for smoking I found it rather easy to give up, from the day the doctor told me if I don't stop I'll be dead in a few years, it took me a short period of 15 years to be finely able to stop :roll: Damn tobacco once it has you I don't want to let go ,the last smoke of um um um well you know was 1997,at the grand age of 59 its just beer for me now

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)