near disaster averted

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
HT1

near disaster averted

Post by HT1 »

Melted 30 Lbs of brass today, went to pull it out, and the tongs would not lift it, just slipped off. A quick inspection showed a crack in the rebar had allowed them to seperate, A quick weld saved the day, but I have to think, what if the piece had broken completely off in the furnace where I could not retrieve it. Definately have to reinforce the lifting tongs, maybe even whip up a spare pair
dallen

Re: near disaster averted

Post by dallen »

safety first there HT, then things are the only thing between you and the hospital. make'm good and strong I use 5/8 rebar and nothing thinner than 1/4 inch in the jaws, Safety is also the reason I will continue to buy store bought professional made crucibles, a hunk of pipe with a plate welded on it ani't made for melting metal in, maybe making some gumbo is the pipes big enough.

YOU WERE Really lucky today
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

That would be nasty. Even worse if they broke while holding the pot! :shock:

Isn't rebar sort of nasty to make things out of? I've never used it. Most of my steel comes from either 3/8 wide lightning rod, which I can get tons of for dirt cheap, or the axles form those motorized kids cars.
dallen

Post by dallen »

you will have to talk to Jammer about rebar, what they make where he works, but rebar is find for making things like tongs out of. It has a high carbon content, or so they say. the Tongs you see in my tag photo are made with 5/8 round bar.

I think that HT1's lift out tongs had a weld on one of the jaws that gave way, but either way it would of been nasty if he had of had it lifted more than an inch or two when the weld let go.
so as they say always check your gear to avoid a trip to the Hospital.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

lucky lucky lucky :shock:
I bet that was a clean undies moment :o
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!