Magnesium

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
mite5255

Magnesium

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all, has any of you had any casting experience with casting Magnesium, I'm thinking about trying to cast a sump extension with magnesium, one person that wants one races his bike in some form of historic racing and he would like the lightest item that he could get sooooooo magnesium :twisted: and if I do it at my daughters place at night just in case it turns to shit the bright lite won't get the authority s screaming with sirens blazing to my place and we could enjoy the light show :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Heimo

Re: Magnesium

Post by Heimo »

no experience casting magnesium, I just melted some to make magnalium, my advice would be to cut your scrap up in tiny pieces so you can fill the crucible up entirely then add some sulfur and charcoal dust to the crucible (this creates a atmosphere that the mag wont burn in, the sulfur will make a gas and the charcoal will lay on top of the melt ), add a lid to the crucible (very important) and apply heat, and do not open until you are ready to pour...
also don't skim the melt as I can promise you it will catch fire if you do, rather add a filter to your mold...
also don't add too much sulfur to the crucible because the sulfur dioxide it creates is a breathing hazard, maybe half a teaspoon at most, do however add enough charcoal dust to cover all the mag, this will aid in keeping air away from the magnesium...

just be very careful with magnesium, melting it is a scaly business...
also keep a welding helmet handy, cause if it catches fire, you will be glad you have it handy and you will spare your eye some trauma..

edit: also wear a respirator rated for sulfur dioxide when casting this, I cannot over emphasize that this gas is truly evil.. (it turns to something close to sulfuric acid when it dissolves in water so breathing it is really bad)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

yup I have cast it, you need to keep a close eye on the temp as soon as it is molten do your pour. the only thing that I did was add the charcoal as a cover.
As Heimo said DON'T stir the melt! After you have completed the pour, put sand on top of the mould to reduce any further air getting to it.

If it looks this then you have got it too hot. :twisted:
a.jpg
a.jpg (250.78 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

I have a master cylinder off of some little car is it possibly Mag it feels really light, you can use vinegar to check if it is right, turns it black I believe is what someone said, also have some solenoid valve bodies that may be mag as they are pretty light or an alloy of it. I don't test for it as most of the Aluminum I melt is car wheels of the newer sort. Damn ford puts plastic glamor covers on theirs that are hard to get off but the chrome melts up real nice in a pot of brass(what you can get peeled off the plastic. I get enough I'm gonna make me a shiny buckle with all the nickel mixed up in some yellow brass.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I think for now I'll give it a miss but would like to give it a go at a later date, thanks for the replies

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)