New Flux/Degassig Chemicals

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
dallen

New Flux/Degassig Chemicals

Post by dallen »

I also have a new aluminum flux to try from Small foundry Supply, I was pretty disappointed with this outfit, after trying to deal with them in person while in St Louis where they are located, I placed an order for the flux which I thought would of been shipped within a day of two of ordering, they didn't ship for almost a week. Anyway I ordered both an aluminum degassing drossing flux and one for Copper, bronze, brass alloys, price was pretty good 8 dollars a pound, which sounds high till you understand that it takes a very small amount of this stuff to work.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
volcom7114

Re: New Flux/Degassig Chemicals

Post by volcom7114 »

what fluxes did you get (names) and also what would be a good flux for cast iron??

thanks Dave!
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

I haven't done any cast iron, myself (yet), but as for flux I never use any for aluminum. For bronze, I have always used 20 Mule Team BORAX (name brand), it comes in a cereal size box and is cheap as hell. Works great, every time. :D And for degassing aluminum I use a thumbnail size pinch of one of them blue Tidy Bowl cakes wedged in a perforated pipe I plunge into the melt when near ready to pour. It makes aluminum pour sweet and beautiful every time.
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

Tidy Bowl cakes?? what are they for lol and could you take a pic of your flux pipe you use?? Im getting ready to start making my tooling so it would help :) thanks F.C.

I guess what im in need of is what would be good flux for Alum though cast iron?? this is my first furnace even tho its been a year in the making and ive seen lots of stuff about it i would rather know what works and what doesnt...