Pool Shock

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
davidbraley

Pool Shock

Post by davidbraley »

It's been discussed on another forum about using "Pool Shock" as a de-gasser for aluminum. The most concern mentioned about this product is that it has a tendency to attract and hold water. My questions:

Is this water molecularly held? Or can it be driven off before use with some heat?

Thanks in advance,

David
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Pool Shock

Post by Harry »

I would say the best thing to do is just keep it dry. I dont use pool shock but I do use crushed degassing tablets that could soak up water. I keep it in a zip lock bag but a nice tupperware container would probably be more convenient, just have to catch the wife not looking.

I do know that a molecular bond is broken when using plaster investments using heat but the heat is pretty high and I wouldnt want to be cooking a large amount of pool shock seeing as how it is pretty cheap to begin with.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Heimo

Re: Pool Shock

Post by Heimo »

Calcium hypochloride is supposed to be the active ingredient in pool shock, and according this page it is not hygroscopic and decomposes at 170C...

so I would just try to keep it dry and keep it in a sealed container, then you should be fine...