Recent Foundry Improvements

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
Harry
Site Admin

Recent Foundry Improvements

Post by Harry »

I have been busy working on the foundry, added a bunch of shelves, a second molding bench and closed in another wall so now I have three sides. Also poured some concrete floor in my ongoing attempt to get the cats to go somewhere else ;)
back_shelves.jpg
This new concrete in the corner gives me a good place for ingot storage and ends the last bit of bare dirt in this end of the foundry. I figure the area under that shelf will hold about 2 tons of ingots if I can ever afford to buy that much aluminum. Getting low right now and will be picking up 500 lbs next week.
concrete_corner.jpg
Here the main open part of the floor that used to be fire brick is now concrete. Also concrete under the new molding bench. The pouring area over by the furnace pit is still brick and steel grating and will stay that way.
floor.jpg
New shelves over the old bench too and one overhead that spans across to the other bench shelves. Still brick under this bench and that will be the next concrete to be poured. Will have to cut the legs down on this bench once thats in because now it is sitting on the dirt with the brick around the legs and I like the height. Note the rammers on the bench, the aluminum was molded from the wooden one and weighs around 6 lbs... its a workout but I like using it.
old_bench2.jpg
Old bench from the other angle.
old_bench.jpg
Here the floor is somewhat cured, the wall behind the bench goes another 4 feet to the end of the concrete and the wall where the light is shining to the left of the bench has a 30" fan in it which draws out all fumes from shakeout nicely. In the lower left you can see I stacked up some bricks to blow my torpedo heater through, this has been working out nicely for working at the old bench.
new_bench.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Re: Recent Foundry Improvements

Post by mite5255 »

Wow Harry that looks great, your benches look a bit low for me, the bending over all the time would make me a cripple quick smart :roll: . Finish on the concrete looks first class

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I thought they might be low too Mike, I am 6'4" tall and am very aware when I build something on placing it comfortably. This works out well though because once you another 7" or more for a flask any taller and it would be a pain the other direction. I do try and keep note of my posture while working at the bench to try and not slip into hunching over but as far as reaching down for a scoop of sand from the bins I havent had any trouble at all. Now the trash can in there is full of shakeout sand to be mulled and if I get to the bottom of that the last few scoops can be a pain. I want to make a rolling bin or two for shakeout that can be placed over by the fans when shaking out and rolled to the muller when full. These will be up on legs some to eliminate that scraping the last bit off the floor position.

I dont have any back issues though (surprisingly considering the way I always worked) so thats a big plus. My biggest problem is my weight and age so working on the floor is out. You can see in the pictures my pouring bench, that is two cinder blocks with a couple of 2 x 4s across them and a heavy steel plate on that. That 10 to 12" rise off the floor makes all the world of difference in putting down and picking up flasks.

The finish under the new bench was the part that got decorated in cat prints and took me an hour to work out the next morning. Luckily it was cold so the concrete set slow enough to allow me to clean it up somewhat. When I poured the large section in the middle I built a temporary wall across so they could not get in for a couple days.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Not sure how I let this pass me by, but it looks great!! Hope to see you back here soon.... and Ive been getting better.. :D
Pour Naked!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well the foundry is now completely closed in. That end wall I put up to keep the cold wind out during the winter.

I have to figure out how I want to set up my big swap cooler and get it ready to use because it has been fairly hot lately but even on the hottest days I am surprised at how nice it is in the foundry. Its come a long way from being under the beating sun thats for sure.

The two molding benches has been working out great when I have my helper out. One thing I need to do is make some rolling shakeout bins. Thinking of making some bench height carts with half a 55 gallon drum so I dont have to bend way over to get the last out of the bottom and I can roll them out of the way when not in use or over to the muller for processing.
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Congrats Harry. I'll swing by next time I'm around... ;) :lol: ;)