Ancient Metals Orichalcum

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
Jammer

Ancient Metals Orichalcum

Post by Jammer »

https://greaterancestors.com/mysterious ... orichalcum.

I had gotten interested in some ancient metals. Alloys from 500 to 1000 BC. Orichalcum is supposed to be the secret metal of Atlantis. Everything that I've been able to find, shows that it is close to Brass or maybe a little like Monel with some Nickle in it. There is even some talk of melting the ore in a pressure crucible to keep the zinc from boiling off.

I guess Neptune took the secrets to the bottom of the sea.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Re: Ancient Metals Orichalcum

Post by cae2100 »

Cool stuff, Ive heard of orichalcum for quite a while, but never really knew what it was. I was looking at modern alloys to see if there's anything close, and it looks like C316 brass, or a very close cousin of it.

Im curious how they refined and got the zinc and everything into it in the first place and wondering if they would have used lead to refine/process the nickel or zinc ore since lead was easily available at that time and used for everything, and would have just ended up as a contaminant in the end product?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

They talk like it was all in the ore they had. Dug it out of the ground and smelted it as it was. But, the zinc would tend to boil off before the Nickle could melt unless they were already an alloy. I don't know just spit balling. :D
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 am
https://greaterancestors.com/mysterious ... orichalcum.

I had gotten interested in some ancient metals. Alloys from 500 to 1000 BC. Orichalcum is supposed to be the secret metal of Atlantis. Everything that I've been able to find, shows that it is close to Brass or maybe a little like Monel with some Nickle in it. There is even some talk of melting the ore in a pressure crucible to keep the zinc from boiling off.

I guess Neptune took the secrets to the bottom of the sea.
Hi Jerry, try this YouTube, there should be 7 episodes https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjtHMB ... eJ2Rqfb3Pw
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That looks like a good series, I'll check it out. All I need is something else to binge watch. Already finished all the X Files seasons.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Oh yea, I've watched that one. Pretty cool how they've done it for hundreds of years.