Back to the foundry

Where the metal submits. Metallurgy to Melt point.
cae2100

Re: Back to the foundry

Post by cae2100 »

Jammer wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:27 pm
I've been sorting things out and digging out some of the gear. Hope to cast something soon. I made a wooden flask for a project so now I have to see it through.
Ive been doing the same for a few months now, just repairing and upgrading alot of my casting stuff, which was in alot worse shape than I remembered it being, lol. As for flasks, I think that's probably the only thing I havnt made any new of or replaced any, even tho I probably should since mine are probably 30% charcoal by weight at this point, lol. Ive made new sand rammers, new sand riddles, new sprue and gating forms, etc. My sand scoop gave out during the first time I tried ramming up some molds, so had to make a new one of those too, lol.

Due to working on the casting shed for the last year, alot of the stuff just got put outside under a tarp and it didnt fare well, especially the wood stuff, and the wiring on the sand muller and such got all chewed up, so it had to completely be rewired and fixed. I had an old analog timer from a microwave, which I wired it up originally but due to some issues, the wiring on it got ripped out of the back of the plugin and I just was forced to direct wire it so you had to plug it in to use the sand muller and set the time on a phone or something.

A few weeks ago, I actually managed to get out and do some castings, which I made up the patterns for a bending iron, for bending wood sides on acoustic guitars and just bending wood in general without needing to steam it, a matchplate vibrator and knee valve from steve chastain's books, oil filter adapter, and a few blocks that will be machined up and turned into air manifold blocks for plumbing compressed air around the new casting shed. I also made up a pneumatic sand rammer too, so need to upgrade all of the compressed air stuff in the shed too, so I can use all of it.
20230506_152342(1).jpg
20230506_152354(1).jpg
20230506_152405(1).jpg
I already machined up the bending iron, which really wasnt much of machining really, just drilling a few holes on the drill press and cleaning it up with a flap wheel on the angle grinder, then pressing the two 200w cartridge heaters in it and make the base for it. The base is made of curly cherry, and the white part is a 3/4" disk of ceramic wool that I recessed into a pocket in the top, and then stabilized it with some watered down sodium silicate to act as a thermal barrier between the bending iron and wood. It's just propped off of the base by some bolts, washers, and nuts to act as standoffs.
20230515_204540.jpg
20230515_204717.jpg
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

^^^ Where's the "Like" button?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Yes, Like, Like, Like... Chirpy is really getting good at pattern making. His pattern making toolbox is great. Hope he gets his shed finished up, looks like it will be a nice set up.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Thanks guys, it works pretty well and I also got the matchplate vibrator done up, but underestimated how much air those things use, lol. I see why you dont just plug it in and then try to pull the mold apart, the knee valve is defenitely needed so you dont just drain your tank instantly, lol.
Jammer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:03 am
Hope he gets his shed finished up, looks like it will be a nice set up.
We're supposed to be working on it tomorrow to get the rest of the sheet metal on the roof and get it done up, then just need to put the siding up, which with the nice weather we have going on right now, it shouldnt take long for that to get done up. After we get it all done up, you coming out again to play around with the forging stuff again? :P