Making Sodium Silicate at Home

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
Jammer

Making Sodium Silicate at Home

Post by Jammer »

I had watched the Nurdrage video on making Sodium Silicate. Nurdrage has a lot of good videos. In this one he makes a small amount of SS I just ramped it up to a useable amount for making cores.

:!: See safety pointers At the end of the post!! :!:

Instead of desiccant beads I used the new silica crystal cat litter. Along with the Sodium Hydroxide / Red Devil Lye.
I have found Lye a few places, but it is a little harder to get than it used to be. Of course you used to be able to buy Water Glass at the local pharmacy.
I found some at a Hardware store and a place that sells to the Amish. I've had the bottle for a couple years. I want some more to make some sodium metal. :twisted:

This is the Lye and the finished Sodium Silicate.

I ground up the crystals in the little ball mill at work. I think you could use a blender or a hammer.

I followed Nurdrage's directions with 40g Lye in 100ml water, warmed it up a little. It gets pretty hot from the lye reacting with the water.
Then I added the silica powder a little at a time and allowed it to dissolve. I added a little more water at the end to get the last of the silica to dissolve.
I ended up with 200ml of solution.

Then I used 500g of sand with about 30g of SS, 6%. Mixed in a plastic bag like Myfordboy did and pressed it in a PVC pipe that I cut down both sides. I didn't cut all the way through with the saw. I cut it most of the way and the slit it with a razor knife, to keep the round shape.

I blew CO2 in the ends with a little air duster that takes the CO2 cartridges. I'm going to find a paintball cylinder. I filled the bag and blew some on what was left. It got real hard right away.

Left over mix.

I waited a while on the tube and then opened it. It worked, yea!! :D
1 1/2" core for a cannon. I wonder how many make the core first before they even know what pattern they're going to make. :? :roll:

Oh well, it worked. How hard should the cores be? these seem pretty hard, maybe I should use a little less SS. I've pounded the ball hard and it hasn't broken, next is hammertime. :P

Thanks to Nurdrage, Rocco and Myfordboy. :D
Oh, I was making a video but the camera quit after about a minute. :cry: :x
That's OK, I sound like a dufuss. I'll stop talking like Myfordboy and rocco does.

Total cost: Lye was around $5 and the cat litter was $9. 1 pound of Lye is 454g and 8# of cat litter is 3630g. That would make 2.2 liters and you would still be able to fill the catbox. 1 pound of lye makes 11 batches and 8# of catlitter makes 60 batches.
2.2 liters $14...1# lye and 8# catlitter...$6.36/liter
11 liters $34...5# lye and 8# catlitter...$3.09/liter

"Amazing Cat" was about $3 less than the name brands and some are not 100% Silica.

Ok, we should put in some safety points.

Lye / NaOH is very caustic and will burn you and can generate Hydrogen when it comes in contact with metals.
MSDS

Silica powder will cause breathing problems if you inhale it. Problems if you get it in your eyes, wear dust mask, goggles, and gloves. Don't rub your eyes. Silica MSDS

Sodium Silicate is not too bad. MSDS
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Jammer

Re: Making Sodium Silicate at Home

Post by Jammer »

Ok, Round Two...

Larger batch is definitely more hazardous!! :shock:

2 quart heat resistant container. I'm glad I did this in a 2L beaker.
The lye and water mix got very hot, even though I added the lye very slowly it sat and boiled for several minutes.

I started with 800ml of water and Very Slowly added 320g of sodium hydroxide.
Then added 480g of Amazing Cat Litter, again slowly. Still had a violent reaction. I didn't crush the litter at all and it almost all dissolved right away. There is still a small amount floating on top and it is still very warm.

If you don't have a scale to measure or just want an easier recipe.

1 Quart of water
1 1/3 cup Lye
5 cups of crystal cat litter. (You can crush it up after you measure it out.)

AGAIN, Please be careful, Face shield, goggles, rubber gloves, and lots of ventilation. An apron wouldn't be a bad idea either..The violent reaction may cause your glassware to break!!!

I checked back in a couple hours and all the crystals had disolved, so I transferred it into smaller bottles to cut down on air exposure. I ended up with 48oz. and it's pretty thick so I could dilute it some.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I think I'll stick with commercially prepared sodium silicate but it's really cool that it can be made with locally available raw materials if necessary.
dallen

Post by dallen »

you get that paint ball tank, get one of the refill valves so you can mount a regulator on it, I use one of them needles that come with those jars of injectable marinade for turkeys and such. I just shoved the end of so 1/4 inch OD tubing over the end of the needle so I could push it down into the mix that I was hardening. of course with a large mold like I did for my coffee roaster, I did after pushing the gas into it with the needle I put it in a bag and and purged the bag with co2 and left it that way for a couple of hours.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Rocco wrote:I think I'll stick with commercially prepared sodium silicate but it's really cool that it can be made with locally available raw materials if necessary.
Hehe, me too. The shipping jacks the price up but I got a gallon pail from Hightempinc and pretty sure it was under $30 shipped.

Not sure how hard you want it to be Jammer but obviously if it is too hard you will have problems in removing the core. Also you might want to slide a bar down the middle when you pack it while it is soft for venting, this would also make it easier in getting the core out after pouring if it is large enough.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

dallen wrote:you get that paint ball tank, get one of the refill valves so you can mount a regulator on it,
Here's mine, it's set up with a regular air hose quick coupling, I use it with a normal air hose and blow gun as seen in my core making video.

dallen

Post by dallen »

how long does your paintball tank normally last, I had mine filled but due to not having a regulator it didn't last very long, and now the place I got it filled has closed up shop. so I an going to have to find a differant source of supply.

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I can't really answer, I need to replace the regulator, it has a slow leak so if I forget to close the valve, which I'm embarrassed to say happens) it empties itself out.
dallen

Post by dallen »

I got the same problem, forgot to turn off torch bottles and had to buy a new bottle of oxygen cause the regulator and valves leak.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Or the argon tank on the mig welder or the propane tank on the BBQ... happens to everyone at one time or another.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller