Making Sodium Silicate at Home

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
Nudge

Re: Making Sodium Silicate at Home

Post by Nudge »

Or the valve on the furnace oil tank :lol: ... like that is a real problem. :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Someone had cut a hole in a large CO2 cylinder and tapped it to put a pipe plug in it. He put dry ice in the tank, plugged it and let it go to a gas. It may have been BobS. I don't know how much pressure it would build, I guess it depends on how much ice.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

that wouldn't create very much pressure because the stuffs at atmospheric pressure when it freezes so there wouldn't be any real change in pressure inside the tank, takes a lot of pressure to turn it to liquid first thou, I know to get O2 to the liquid state it takes about 3000 pis and somewhere around 480 degrees below zero, pretty blue color thou. pretty good idea thou, cause dry ice at waldo world is only like dollar something a pound. so you get you a container put a hunk of dry iice in it hook up ye ole vacumn pump to container and od your thing with the Sodium Silicate.

Be good for poeple that have a hard time getting their hands on bottled gas. I been thinking about getting me one of them little bottles that they use with partykegs or in the single tap keg boxes people buy and put in the garage for when their buddies come over.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette