Parting dust

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
mite5255

Parting dust

Post by mite5255 »

What sort of parting dust do you all use, I myself use calcium carbonate, mainly because we use tonnes of it in the plastic industry and when ever I need some I just ask the production manager if its ok if I can grab a few kilo's and he has never turned me down. Of late tho I have been mixing it 50 50 with graphite powder and it appears to work better

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
HT1

Re: Parting dust

Post by HT1 »

powdered graphite is an excellent parting on non-ferrous metal, that is exactly what I use. Ferrous metal can pick up carbon from graphite though and effect the metallergy. enjoy the good freeby

HT1
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

So the baby powder I use have been planning on using should be reserved for baby's? But it is SO convenient.

Barry
dallen

Post by dallen »

well you said it, Stanley White Chalk line Chalk is available in about any hardware store and is better for use with greensand or pickling lime available in the grocery store, they won't attract water, baby powder will, if you were using oil bonded sand the baby powder wouldn't matter it won't attract the oil anyway its not suppose to attract the baby oil you put on that aforementioned babies butt.

I have been looking into spraying plumbago / graphite but have not had much success in finding a hand pump spray jug that will work. Guess its going to be the ole air siphon trick of moving air across an open tube connected to a container of Alcohol and graphite. biggest problem is the damn graphite settles out so fast.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Harry,
http://www.freemansupply.com/MouthSprayCan.htm here is an actual foundry style spraycan, it is filled through a 1/2 hole on the other side of the tube, so you can swirl it, to keep the graphite in suspension. you just blow air, from a hose into the funnel, and it gives a nice atomized mist of Mold wash. worth it's weight in gold

V/r HT1
HT1

Post by HT1 »

dallen wrote:. biggest problem is the damn graphite settles out so fast.
I'm going to ask, you are using denatured alcohol? not rubbing alcohol. the graphite will stay suspended in solution much better in pure alcohol, then in the water/alcohol mix in rubbing alcohol.

if not try it out, you can find it in the hardware store with the paint thinner, or in a boat shot, they use it for fuel in stoves
dallen

Post by dallen »

I get mine in a 5 gallon bucket with no label. actually its Alcohol racing fuel, problem with it and rubbing alcohol is you can't drink either one of them.

Well I can say this much don't put Sodium Silicate in it, stuff hits the alcohol it clabbers up like mike in the hot sun.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Dave what if you mixed a bit of washing up detergent with the graphite first, mix to a paste then add it to the alcohol, it may help it to stay suspended longer
In years past when I use to make moulds for garden ornaments out of latex rubber, I would add detergent to carbon black to add to the latex to help protect the latex from the suns rays, carbon black on its own would not mix with the latex but with a little bit of detergent it would mix, so I'm thinking maybe if detergent was mixed with graphite it may help it stay suspended a bit longer , when I come off shift I will be giving it a try myself

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

might work, I haven't messed wit it lately, due to other fires I been trying to put out, I started this damn carpentry work on my house and the longer it goes on the more I spend on it. You know what i mean the more you do the more you find, means the more you have to fix, means the more it cost. god I hate carpentry tools, you cut a board too short you throw it away, I cut an I beam to short I weld it back together and cut it again, hopefully not shorter.

Oh well its my own damn fault for not doing this 20 years ago, or starting 20 years ago, if I had of I probably would be just finishing up by now.

David

who knows maybe the estimator on this job will go long on an order of 2X4's and I can use em to build a stout as British beer molding bench. Lord knows I got enough screws to put it together with, after buying a 25 lb pail of the little things, and at a 100 bucks a pail you'd think they was made out of white gold or something expensive like that.