co2 extinguishers

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
mite5255

co2 extinguishers

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all...I have just been given two co2 fire extinguishers that are out of date but full and was wondering, if I was doing cores how could I decant at a low pressure

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Re: co2 extinguishers

Post by Jammer »

Is there any way to remove the nozzle and put an adapter on it with an adjustable valve. The trouble with extinguishers is they are off or ON and I mean ON!
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

There is, I don't know the specifics as to how but Bob S just posted this picture in THIS THREAD over in the other forum.

dallen

Post by dallen »

best thing to do is to remove the fire extinguisher valve and put a regular CO2 tank valve in it. then you can use a regular CO2 regulator like is used on a beer tap to lower the pressure.

used to make scube tanks out of em.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rocco wrote:There is, I don't know the specifics as to how but Bob S just posted this picture in THIS THREAD over in the other forum.

That one of Bobs is what I was thinking about. My sister in-laws son checks extinguishers and says very few places have them pressure tested, they just replace them, he takes then takes them to the rubbish dump for disposal, sooooo I grabbed a couple

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
castaway

Post by castaway »

I should add that I just tap the control valve to release a small amount of CO2 into the regulator which keeps the pressure low at this point. This regulator's gauge only reads to 50# on the output side and now is set to 3# pressure so I didn't want to blow the diaphragm by tying open the valve. I'm not sure what a fully charged extinguisher pressure is so to be on the safe side I have been using the method. The amount of CO2 left in the regulator after a tap on the valve is usually enough to set up a S/S core of average size.

As I said in the other thread I'm using this as a temporary set up for now and am in the process of converting one so dry ice can be added to generate the CO2 gas rather sending it out for a recharge and at this same time I will be installing a common pressure shut off valve and high pressure regulator so I can read the tank pressure as well as the output pressure. I located several supplier of dry ice near me so getting it won't be a problem. Bob

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That Bob has all the toys! :roll: :mrgreen:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)