Pith Helmet Brass Top Ball Finial and Dome Fitting

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
mite5255

Re: Pith Helmet Brass Top Ball Finial and Dome Fitting

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Are you casting them solid or with a core? If you want that cast to be hollow there needs to be a core inside that wax suspended by a couple pins (at least). If you're casting it solid, that may end up a bit heavy on the helmet, wouldn't you think? And why didn't you use the algenate?.. it's a simple water based mix, sets up quick, easy to vibrate out bubbles, virtually fool proof in my opinion and it's much cheaper to use than the commercial silicon mold compounds.

Hi Frank. I was going to cast solid but use aluminum, I had done a sand cast of the ball final and dome last year and the weight was OK compared to the original brass ones, I am open to suggestions tho :)

The silicone mold that I'd used was made last November and I didn't use enough curing agent so it didn't set properly so I set it aside, I was then was going to make another, then you suggested alginate, so I ordered 4 KGS, it arrived about three weeks ago but work and life stepped in so it had to wait. So three days ago I was going to make a alginate mold when I picked up the silcone mold and it had set, only took two effin months :lol: . I then decided for now to try the silicone mold, and if it had turned out to be no good I would then do and alginate mold.
I actually have another job to do using the alginate which I hope to start soon. I've had a long day at work, had dinner and a few nerve settling ales and now its shut eye time, I'm beat

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

mite5255 wrote:....and a few nerve settling ales .... Mike
Ales, or ailes (as in ailements)? I hope the bubbly kind, my friend. :) ;)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:
mite5255 wrote:....and a few nerve settling ales .... Mike
Ales, or ailes (as in ailements)? I hope the bubbly kind, my friend. :) ;)
The bubbly golden colored kind :lol:
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Good... :-) I intend to come visit some day and need you upright and with the ability to enjoy yourself and show me around. :lol: 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Good... :-) I intend to come visit some day and need you upright and with the ability to enjoy yourself and show me around. :lol: 8-)
You and your better half would be more the welcome Frank, and these days I keep very up right he he he ....If you ever did get out here Frank, what sort of things would you be interested in seeing.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Public art (sculpture, mostly)... fun pubs... unique architecture... indigenous wildlife (lizards, snakes, crocs, and roos - preferably in the wild, not caged)... nude beaches (hahaha)... the Outback... YOU and your family!! ... Museum... local art galleries... non stop warm sunny weather (lol)... live music... good restaraunts... and local antique shops. Think that can fit into a week visit? HAHAHA.... :lol:
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Well thats day one, then what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Most of the stuff in that list would be reasonably easy to arrange ....this museum is just down the road from me http://www.abbeymuseum.com.au/
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wellll nothing much has been happening here for a few weeks now, its been very wet and my furnace and and pouring bench are both outside so too damn wet

Then at work on the 6th of March I got sprayed with extremely hot water down my left arm and left side, man that sure got my f$%king attention :o , anyway the blisters and what not have all gone and was due to return to work when I was getting a 9KG gas bottle filled, when to put the full bottle on the back of my ute I put my back out, again, now I'm hoping to get something done this Friday

Mike
Last edited by mite5255 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Stop lifting stuff. Ever since I started letting other people do the lifting I have had no back trouble.

Boat anodes should be good zinc. I've been itching to cast some yellow brass, just for the hell of it.

Wonder where Harry is? And F.C.?

Richard