Ants in my sand

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
mite5255

Ants in my sand

Post by mite5255 »

Millions of ants with their eggs have invaded my greensand if I spray them would the sand still be safe to use, its not the spray that I'm worried about but hot metal hitting their moisture laden and creating a steam problem

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Re: Ants in my sand

Post by F.C. »

mite5255 wrote:Millions of ants with their eggs have invaded my greensand if I spray them would the sand still be safe to use, its not the spray that I'm worried about but hot metal hitting their moisture laden and creating a steam problem

Mike

I'm guessing you'd be ok with spraying with a chemical, still, you need to seive the sand to ensure their carcassas and eggs are out of it, then, ensure you have a cover that's tight to keep the buggers out of it from now on. I'd research to see what chemicals are out there that won't leave a residue that might flare when molten metal hits it. Although, a certain amount of "flare" would/could be acceptable considering the effect charcoal dust has as a facing for interior sand molds. The flaring gives off carbon fines that aid in reducing metal oxidation as its chilled.

It's the corn flour they're after, I bet. They found themselves a gold mine for a home. You'd be prudent to spray around your shop and home, too, and do a genecide on the lot of 'em or one of the next colony scouts will find your bin and go back and bring on the tribe. If that's not possible, then, erradicate those that are in your bin and fashion a way to seal off your mix so more don't find their way into it to nest. I've never had issue with ants, just small household spiders (lots of 'em). I ended up fashioning a lid that would keep the buggers out.

Research to see if salt or salt water in your mix would detour them. That, or some other organic powder that would make the mix unsuitable for their taste. Just a thought.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:
mite5255 wrote:Millions of ants with their eggs have invaded my greensand if I spray them would the sand still be safe to use, its not the spray that I'm worried about but hot metal hitting their moisture laden and creating a steam problem

Mike

I'm guessing you'd be ok with spraying with a chemical, still, you need to seive the sand to ensure their carcassas and eggs are out of it, then, ensure you have a cover that's tight to keep the buggers out of it from now on. I'd research to see what chemicals are out there that won't leave a residue that might flare when molten metal hits it. Although, a certain amount of "flare" would/could be acceptable considering the effect charcoal dust has as a facing for interior sand molds. The flaring gives off carbon fines that aid in reducing metal oxidation as its chilled.

It's the corn flour they're after, I bet. They found themselves a gold mine for a home. You'd be prudent to spray around your shop and home, too, and do a genecide on the lot of 'em or one of the next colony scouts will find your bin and go back and bring on the tribe. If that's not possible, then, erradicate those that are in your bin and fashion a way to seal off your mix so more don't find their way into it to nest. I've never had issue with ants, just small household spiders (lots of 'em). I ended up fashioning a lid that would keep the buggers out.

Research to see if salt or salt water in your mix would detour them. That, or some other organic powder that would make the mix unsuitable for their taste. Just a thought.
Thanks Frank. they're little black ants and they are too small to sieve, so I was thinking of having a ant BBQ with a gas torch and turning there little bodies into charcoal. these black ants are a problem when there is wet weather coming, they head to high ground and I bet they just loved there new home, damp,dark and corn starch walls lol they must have thought they had found heaven, well it turning into HELLLLLLLLL real soon :lol:
on another note, on the 2nd Jan I ordered alginate from and Aussie and I'm still waiting for it to arrive :o these people will be getting a call from me today
plus I'm off into Brisbane today to pick up a Marshall Lance that I've ordered, now I should have a better idea on my metal temps

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I got rid of the ants, I emptied my sand bins and as I retured the sand I BBQ the little buggers with a gas torch, I then seal the wash tub were I keep may sand with foam strips

With its lid with my new Marshall lance sitting on top :D