15" mold - Pattern to Part

From molding systems to gating, what goes on at the molding bench will make or break a casting.
Harry
Site Admin

15" mold - Pattern to Part

Post by Harry »

15" flask with a matchplate pattern.
Parting dust.
Couple of big scoops of sand, filled loosely about flush with the top.
Hammered down with the air rammer going over it several times and packing it very tightly.
These to tools work together when topping off one in each hand. This is a whole of of sand and only half the mold.
Striking off the bottom of the drag.
Drag stood up and the molding board cleaned off for finishing the roll.
Cope in place. This I usually just ram like the topping off of the drag (no air rammer) with the scoop in one hand and the rammer in the other.
Gates cut and loose sand blown off. The melon baller works great.
Cope to the left with sprues ready to go back on the drag but not until the drag is on the pouring floor.
Drag on the floor with some already poured molds.
Cope on and 5 other molds ready to pour.
And the part, this is about a 4 pound casting but it takes closer to 6 pounds to pour it. Of course it is the main body for the trucks of the cnc kit I make.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Re: 15" mold - Pattern to Part

Post by Jammer »

Great series of photos, the finish looks very good. I've got to get y petrobond mixed up. :(
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I cant say enough about petrobond. Great detail and strength for odd shapes and the finish is about as good as it gets. Of course I never could get a good temper on greensand, Lots of folks get fantastic results with a water based sand, it just never happened for me.

The other benefits of oil based sand are always ready as in never dries out and no need for venting since it does not produce volumes of gas the way water does.

Some folks dont care for the oil calling it dirty, this is a valid point I suppose if you are very hands on in your sand but you can easily keep your hands out of the sand by using tools to work it or by using nitrile gloves.

Yes I am a fanboy :mrgreen:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Beautiful cast Harry! What's it for?

Nevermind... duh... I re-read the pics again. Beautiful raw finish, indeed.