Big muller, little budget

How to condition loads of sand to ease making molds.
dallen

Re: Big muller, little budget

Post by dallen »

Harry wrote:The amount of burn will vary some with how thick the section is but yes about 3/16" sounds close. Dont be shy about selling the mixed sand if you want to offer folks a better price on it, I dont sell it to try and make money so it will not cut in on me. Figure about 40 lbs in a large flat rate box and shipping around $15. The other option would be offering the petrobond clay, oil and catalyst. The price you mentioned on being able to get it at is less than what I pay for it.

Harry if I sell any it will be locale only, with having to travel for work and never knowing when I will be home I don't really think that I will have a very large market, besides the one guy that I know that uses oil bonded sand mixes his own. Although if someone local wants some and I am home and have the stuff on hand I will mix it for them.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Sorry to interrupt your business ventures fellas. How do I upload videos to this forum?

Barry
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

I put a very short video of the muller running for the first time on youtube. You can see it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5d9Lyyzmo

Thanks

Barry
dallen

Post by dallen »

barryjyoung wrote:I put a very short video of the muller running for the first time on youtube. You can see it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN5d9Lyyzmo

Thanks

Barry
Barry if you click the youtube buttom then copy and paste the last part of your video url that shows after the equals sign in it like this but leaving the () off the start and finish and put square bracketts in place of them, had to put them on there so the code would show (youtube]GN5d9Lyyzmo[/youtube) should give you a clickable link in your post

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

How does it do with sand in it Barry? I would be concerned about it carrying the sand around rather than mixing it, thats why my muller is tilted up and has the plate hanging down in it for the sand to strike against. My sand is pretty sticky though so that is part of why I had to go this route. I also found that with the heavy concrete form stakes I used for blades there was no need for the angled supports which allowed the striker plate to go further down into the bin. I did have to make a top over the lower half in order to keep the sand in with it on such an angle.

Also might want to fashion a little cover for the motor to keep sand from being able to get in there.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Thanks Harry. I will consider it. It mixed the sand quite nicely today, until I started to add water. Then as you said, it clumped and just got carried around a bit. I will work on it. A shield for the motor is already in work now.

Thanks for the instructions on how to post a video.

Barry
dallen

Post by dallen »

Barry hows work progressing on your muller, I'm wishing that I had of cut the length of mine 2 inches taller, not that I can't cut and add a ring onto the top.

barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Well fellas, it is like this. I am not at all happy with my muller. The welds on the mulling blade and plow blade supports are breaking and with water in the sand the bicycle chain falls off and makes me cuss. Then it picks up the whole mix and carries it around the inside of the tub making me cuss even more. So. I want to start from scratch and make something which will squish the sand, more like a jaw type rock crusher. If there is just a tiny bit of space at the bottom between the plates, it should mash and squish it pretty good don't you think?
dallen

Post by dallen »

nope, jaws aren't built to squish stuff out the bottom but to have rocks fall out, the sand and clay will stick and jam it up. anyway that what the guys at work that design crushers for Cedar Rapids tell me.

how are you adding the water, I used a spray bottle when I mixed greensand in it, one squirt at a time

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Barry, have you seen the video of my muller on the youtube channel FoundDreaming? I think it show how the striker plate I put in knocks off the sand keeping it from going round and round and the steep tilt I have on my muller.

I really think the easiest way for you from where you are is to make a new blade (with better welds and maybe heavier steel) with no angled supports and add a striker. It is possible that the chain drive is not robust enough if it is jumping. If you want a better video of my muller let me know and I will make one.

Hmmm, just watched the video and see I have changed it since then> I removed that angled support, tilted it more and moved the striker plate up towards the top. I will shoot another one.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller