my little muller

How to condition loads of sand to ease making molds.
bobbydigital

my little muller

Post by bobbydigital »

009.jpg
006.jpg
here is my mini muller and assorted junk
Attachments
008.jpg
bobbydigital

Re: my little muller

Post by bobbydigital »

oh im so exited lol this is the first time ive ever out a pic on the internet,lol
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Hey, there's some pictures. That's a nice muller, what's the inside look like.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
bobbydigital

Post by bobbydigital »

ill post some inside pics tommarow when i have to open it to clean it out
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I guess tomorow has not come yet! :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
davidh

Post by davidh »

i too am waiting for the pix, nudge. gotta make mine soon
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Unless you're working in petrobond sand (and intend to do a production run using more than two wheel barrows full of sand mix) a muller is a waste of time, money, and space for the small amount of work you guys generally do. If you're working entirely in green sand then all you need is a seive screen you can work batches through by hand. You can process and/or recover two wheel barrows full of sand (approximately four 18 x 24 plaque molds worth), in about 20 minutes. Make yourself a seive that's automated and you can process a ton of sand within an hour.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Unless you're working in petrobond sand (and intend to do a production run using more than two wheel barrows full of sand mix) a muller is a waste of time, money, and space for the small amount of work you guys generally do. If you're working entirely in green sand then all you need is a seive screen you can work batches through by hand. You can process and/or recover two wheel barrows full of sand (approximately four 18 x 24 plaque molds worth), in about 20 minutes. Make yourself a seive that's automated and you can process a ton of sand within an hour.
Thats how I do my sand Frank, all through a sieve, I also make all my green sand by hand

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

There's wealth of learning to be had in doing everything by hand, particularly so in developing a sand mix while learning this process. You get to a point where you're at your best quality then you tend to experiment more till you either deminish it or improve. There are times i actually degrade my sand mix to produce an effect no other foundry could accomplish with what they have to work with. This is where keeping a journal of everything you do, including the effects achieved off of your failures, LOL.... helps out. But like I've said often to others, it's not just the sand mix... it's SOOOOOO MANY other things one has to dial in to make an effective and quality cast each and every attempt. Like a book i once read on the subject of casting metal, the author said, ... "everything there is to know about casting bronze and aluminum can be printed in a book thin enough to fit in a tee-shirt pocket. To apply this knowledge, and master it, however, will take a minimum of 20 years and as much as a lifetime." I'm here to tell ya, Mike... that's the silver ring of truth in that quote. The only thing I can add to it is... "you get out of it proportionate to what you put into it".
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I totally agree with that quote Frank.....Today I took 5 kgs of my greensand and added 100 grams of corn flour and that sure increased the green strength

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)