My air rammer

Specialized Tools for Mold Making or Improving the Bench
mite5255

My air rammer

Post by mite5255 »

My air rammer has a rubber knob from a rubber hammer, I have aluminium flasks and steel would ruin them real quick I would think
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: My air rammer

Post by dallen »

just saw this post, nice how big was the hammer and did you have to drill the hole in the rubber, I just have steel plate on mine which I should use more, how much air you run on it I run about 40 psi on mine?

I need to glue up some boards and turn me another hand rammer as mine is on the short side and I got the hand grip part to large for it to be comfortable.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I'm thinking about making one based roughly on this one.

dallen

Post by dallen »

I saw that video the saw doesn't have much power I wouldn't think that it would ram sand up very tight, but thats just my feeble old brain thinking again

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I can understand why might think so. I'll leave a comment on youtube, ask the guy if he's happy with the results, let's see what he says.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:just saw this post, nice how big was the hammer and did you have to drill the hole in the rubber, I just have steel plate on mine which I should use more, how much air you run on it I run about 40 psi on mine?

I need to glue up some boards and turn me another hand rammer as mine is on the short side and I got the hand grip part to large for it to be comfortable.
I don't remember the hammer size Dave but the rubber peice is 1 3/4 long the dia at the face is 1 15/16 and the hole is 1 1/16 dia, no I didn't drill the hole, every thing was made to fit the rubber. not to sure on the psi, when ever I'm using it I run two 8 cfm compresses and open them right up

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

Rocco wrote:I can understand why might think so. I'll leave a comment on youtube, ask the guy if he's happy with the results, let's see what he says.
it would be nice to know how his turned out I watched the video, but don't have the ability to weld aluminum which is how he secured the stem to the foot, its threaded onto the shaft that actuates the saw blade.

Mike I've used mine a couple times, I turn the air down on it to about 40 pounds which seems to work pretty good for it having a steel foot on it. I took one of the Chisels and cut the end off of it and welded on a half inch long piece of two inch round bar this seems to work pretty good in the ramming department, just have to watch out that you don't get it up on the flask or pattern.

DAllen

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
just have to watch out that you don't get it up on the flask or pattern.

DAllen

That's the reason why I have the rubber on it, I brought some professional snap flasks off ebay last year and I sure don't want a steel air hammer any were near the flasks

Mike
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

dallen wrote: it would be nice to know how his turned out I watched the video, but don't have the ability to weld aluminum which is how he secured the stem to the foot, its threaded onto the shaft that actuates the saw blade.
DAllen
I was thinking making that part as a one piece casting rather than a weldment.
dallen

Post by dallen »

that would work also, you would just have to drill the hole in the end and thread it as the guy in the video did, only free hand unless you have a pretty big lathe so that the foot would fit in the spindle.