Assorted tools on the bench

Specialized Tools for Mold Making or Improving the Bench
Harry
Site Admin

Assorted tools on the bench

Post by Harry »

Tools on the bench, this is pretty much everything I use other than the Jolt Squeeze.

Brushes are handy for lots of things and I keep one in a tub with plumbago for when I have any trouble with sand sticking to a pattern. I need to get a couple more small brushes.
Brush_plumbago.jpg
On the wall is the parting dust bag, blower and sieve.
Parting_blower_sieve.jpg
The sieve is 1/4" wire mesh clamped between the strips of wood that are alternately overlapped on the corners making it easy to replace the screen when it wears out.
Sieve_close.jpg
Couple of trowels and a nice big scoop, that scoop will handle about 10 lbs of sand at a go.
Trowels_scoop.jpg
Assorted tools, from the left a few different sizes of sprue cutters, a blade from a feeler gauge, melon baller (this is my go to tool), an icecream scoop, a runner that can be loose placed onto a molding board and a couple of bobs with locating pins, I have 1/4" holes on matchplates where these go so it is easy to get them close to the part but not over lap it.
Tools.jpg
This isnt actually on the bench but next to it. A shakeout can to hold hot sand, this is right next to the muller so the next day I can shift it over to the muller which then dumps right back into the bench to start all over again.
Shakeout_can.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Donk

Re: Assorted tools on the bench

Post by Donk »

My molding area tends to migrate round the shed depending on what else I am doing.
These are some of my tools

A beautifull collection that I found in a skip about 3 days after I did my first metal casting, coincidence or karma?

Most of them I have never used or needed.

I took these pics last wkend and was going to start a thread over at the other place, then it all went tits up.

Donk
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That is a really nice set Donk, I wouldnt know what to reach for with such an assortment.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Harry wrote:That is a really nice set Donk, I wouldnt know what to reach for with such an assortment.
Ha agreed...my molding bench has a melon baller (thanks harry for the idea), a sprue cutter (a length of tapered vacuum sweeper extension tube), a paintbrush to sweep away carved sand, a pant scraper...for various and random duties, and a sock with some dust in it. Thats about it. Im not sure Id be able to cast enough different items in a month to use all those tools for molding lol. Nice score donk!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison