Change to me furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
mite5255

Change to me furnace

Post by mite5255 »

I made a change to my furnace, I've change the position of the tuyere, I originality had in from underneath the furnace so I decided to run it from the side just to see what the difference is, and man there sure is, Its melts the metal much quicker and use a lot less fuel

Mike
0808111653-00.jpg
0808111653-00.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
blindpig

Re: Change to me furnace

Post by blindpig »

Mike,
Modifing a furnace or any tool is a lot of fun and a great way to learn.Looks good....
My Kiln/Furnace is operating on change 9 or 10 right now and have added my version of Andrei's EVA burner(oops, must be change 11,LOL).
Being "frugal"(read cheap) modifications are generally less expensive than building a new one with each new idea.
For me besides having the burner entering the side of the furnace,closing the exhaust hole in the lid and adding a side exhaust also increased the heat and shortened the melt time.Might give that some consideration as well.
Don
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I remember when you built that and put the hole in the bottom, I was kind of iffy on it then but not so much from a performance standpoint but more logistics. Glad to hear that moving to a tangential configuration has also improved performance.

I can imagine it was a bit of a pain cracking in the new hole. More of a tense moment on which way will it break than intense labor. Good thing about this commercial refractory is you can easily patch it up.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

blindpig wrote:Mike,
Modifing a furnace or any tool is a lot of fun and a great way to learn.Looks good....
My Kiln/Furnace is operating on change 9 or 10 right now and have added my version of Andrei's EVA burner(oops, must be change 11,LOL).
Being "frugal"(read cheap) modifications are generally less expensive than building a new one with each new idea.
For me besides having the burner entering the side of the furnace,closing the exhaust hole in the lid and adding a side exhaust also increased the heat and shortened the melt time.Might give that some consideration as well.
Don
I'll give that some consideration next time, thanks Don
Harry wrote:I remember when you built that and put the hole in the bottom, I was kind of iffy on it then but not so much from a performance standpoint but more logistics. Glad to hear that moving to a tangential configuration has also improved performance.

I can imagine it was a bit of a pain cracking in the new hole. More of a tense moment on which way will it break than intense labor. Good thing about this commercial refractory is you can easily patch it up.
I had cut a hole in the side of the keg prier to making the furnace and clued a put a piece thin ally sheet over the hole so if and when I wanted to change the tuyere position it would be much easer and It was a lot easer than I thought it would be to do, first I fired up the burner and melted the ally sheet then with a screw drive I dug out the foamed insulation to the hot face, then I used a 3/8 masonry bit in my drill but not on the hammer action , I drilled out the hole as best I could then I used the ball on a ball peen hammer to break it all away roughly to the size I need , then it was just a matter of inserting a piece of 60 mm pvc tube that was coated in silicon and cementing it all in with refractory

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I didn't think it would make much difference with efficiency, but it sounds like it does.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:I didn't think it would make much difference with efficiency, but it sounds like it does.
Its more efficient for me anyhow from stone cold to pouring I reckon I have gained 10 minutes or more. I'm still using a steel crucible and when the burner was underneath the crucible would never get red hot, It does now, my crucible is a bit tall 9.8 x4.7 inch(250mm x 120mm) and with the burner underneath I do think that was part of the problem also

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Um disregard those times above, those times were for scrap wheels that I had melted in a fire and were a lot thinner then my ingots, today I melted ingots and its about the same but appears to be using less fuel

Mike