A different furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
barryjyoung

A different furnace

Post by barryjyoung »

I had this big long diatribe typed out about my crucible furnace explaining all the features, then poof it vanished. So here are a couple of pictures, I will just wait for questions. I know the pictures are sideways, trying to make them upright is how I lost my big post so I said nah. The top and middle sections ride up and down on the vertical posts when you press the button on the winch pendant.

Barry
Attachments
DSC02429.JPG
DSC02430.JPG
Jammer

Re: A different furnace

Post by Jammer »

That happens sometimes, usually after you have type the best post you've ever written, attach a picture and the whole thing disappears.

Nice furnace, are you using propane only or waste oil or both? You'll have to explain how you get a full crucible out of it. Mine is on a cart but it makes it a little tall to get the crucible out. I'm still using my redneck post hole digger, crucible tongs.:)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

after you typed out your large post, copy the whole thing (this places the text on the computer's clipboard)
then click the preview button, then after you have done this your post should appear above the text box in which you type, then upload your pictures... if something goes wrong you can 1 paste the text back from the clipboard or 2 copy and paste the text back from the preview above the text box....
hope this helps...
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The other thing to do if a post is lost is click the back button on the browser, often it will have the text as typed there. I dont know what to do to try and make the forum more stable but sure feel the loss when folks post they have just had a long post go poof.

Jammer, looking at it my guess would be that Barry is lifting the body of the furnace and taking the crucible out the side.

I can understand the idea/need for a portable unit for many folks but I have to say I absolutely love having my furnace in a pit. With the lid at ground level it makes it very easy to not only pull the crucible but also to inspect/charge the melt.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Everything here on the forum was fine. I screwed up when closing my photo editing software and closed the window.

Harry, there is nothing you can do to help me not make mistakes with my new computer. I finally bought a Mac and it is taking a little getting used to. It was my fault not your awesome boards fault.

Barry
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Helmo: Thank you. It was my error.

Jammer: The furnace is solid refractory cast in three sections, the bottom 4 inches or so where the tuyere is. Is it still a tuyere if I use it to put the burner in or is it called something else? Next is the center section which rides up and down on the vertical conduit poles. We made trucks from larger conduit that slide over the longer verticals. These run on ball bearings from some thrift store inline skates. We have not used these furnaces yet, but the idea is that rather than transfer from overhead using tongs we wanted to grab the crucible from the side with the pouring shank and pour straight away eliminating the transfer. Then the lid sits on top and lifts with the center section. It also swings to the side for top loading or whatever. Since I am a short little sucker with a back injury it seemed like a prudent way to attack lifting the full crucible.

Barry
Last edited by barryjyoung on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Harry:

A pit would be infinitely superior as far as I am concerned, I just haven't got room for one.

Barry