Flame Trainer

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
Harry
Site Admin

Flame Trainer

Post by Harry »

The mold packed with 50/50 foam refractory I should have bent a rebar hoop to put in it but didnt think of it until too late. Outside of the mold is a piece of ten inch c900 with a section cut out and squeezed down with a strap to reduce the OD. The inside form is a plastic gold pan upside down. This is how it sits in the furnace.

Here it is with the mold removed, flipped upside down and coated with some fines. Next to it is my crucible mold

Kneewall built into the bottom of the furnace to hold the flame trainer above the tuyre which is on the lower left of the bore making a counter clockwise flame rotation. The plinth in the middle is the same height as the wall.

Just lit up, you can see how the flame comes up right around the crucible. The crucible is one I had made in the mold above and has not yet been fired. To the left of the furnace you can see the Plinth topper I made (one side of it is broken off).

Heat is coming on, it doesnt look like it but the crucible is well into orange here. With the lid closed the flame comes right up the outside of the crucible and in over the top as it swirls its way up to the vent hole.

High yellow near white, this is easily iron temp.

And the obligatory messy workshop pic... guess you cant really see from this angle but there is some serious tool putting away needing to be done. Tried to catch the mess but wanted to make sure the beautiful background got in there too.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller