my small Furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
dallen

my small Furnace

Post by dallen »

Well the temptation got the best of me so I went and fired up one of my furnaces and melted something. Wasn't really trying to make anything just wanted to see how the sand (play sand) would take the heat, so I melted up a bunch of keys that I had been given to destroy, added in a valve from a propane tank, a dash of borax and a lot of propane.
anyway some more pictures for you guys to look at, it got dark or I would of played longer, I keep plenty of propane on hand incase I feel the urge to melt.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 1/8_27_11/

David :D
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Re: my small Furnace

Post by Nudge »

I can't see a thing, it is locked :cry:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

David, photobucket's telling me that's a private album and requires a password to be viewed.
dallen

Post by dallen »

damn guess I forgot to check something, I'll fix it now!!!

There see I fixed it,

its just a couple pictures I took while playing in the back yard, Actually I had mixed up a batch of sand from a 50 lb bag of Quikrete Play Sand, and I wanted to see if it would take some heat without turning to slag, so I melted down some old brass keys and a couple other things and poured it into a mould that I had rammed up earlier in the day.

the sand worked just fine, there was no turning to glass, I had hoped that they would carrry the Quickrete Silica Sand that I buy downtown if they had of had that it would of saved me some money buy not having to pay for the gas to drive into the middle of OKC in my truck thats a minimun of a 3 gallon drive with it being mostly city driving.

dallen

Post by dallen »

here's a better picture of that part that I casted the other day, I haven't cleaned it up or anything because I'm not going to use it there is a shrink right about where I cut the gate into the mould cavity, this probably wouldn't of happened except that I cut too small of a sprue and it didn't feed back into the part.

But the casting did have a nice smooth finish if you can see through the discoloration on the surface of the part. there is suppose to have a part line across where you see a rough stright line you can also see where the molten metal tried to flow up one of the vent holes that I pushed into the sand with a piece of 1/16" tig rod.

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Cool 8-) at least it worked! nothing worse than having to drive to get something to find it won't work.
Are you burning gas or oil? there is a lot of fire out your vent compeared with how I run. :?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

propane, the yellow is from the zink that is on the piece of white brick that I have choking the exhaust off.
The pour did what I wanted which was to see if the sand that I had mixed up would work with higher temp metals like copper and brass, now I just have to see what it will do when I pour some real hot stuff into it. The texture or I guess I should say the grain of the sand is courser than what I have been using, which is a silica sand that is like a 100 to 120 sand pretty uniform in grain size about the same size as the sand that Harry uses. I have another bag of what is called Fine commercial grade sand used basicly sand blasting, but there is no sence in my opening it as I have more than enough sand at the moment for the casting that I do. But for what it cost, doesn't hurt to have an extra bag laying around just incase.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On a part like that I would place a large BoB about where your sprue is, as close to the part as possible and in the cope then cut the gate from the part (in the drag) to the BoB and put the sprue a few inches away from the BoB. Use the runner from the sprue to the BoB as the choke.

Seems anything thicker than 1/4" needs a heavy section to feed from other than a few small parts I have done that are about 1/2" thick but pretty small so feeding from the sprue works out ok.

What is the part for David?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

excentric for a locomotive, it works the valves and the feed water pump and on oil fired loco's the fuel oil pump. I have casted about five of them for a friend using his pattern, problem is its on a match plate, and the flask that was made to fit it leaves hardly any room out of the actual mould cavity to put in a bob or more of a runner than whats in the photo.
Most of the time when I have casted them I use a 5/8 sprue, or larger and cut it so that its towards one end of the line that you see across the middle of the part, its actually suppose to be two seperate parts on one plate, but they need to be connected so that a screw hole can be drill and tapped in each end, then they are cut apart and the two edges milled, so that you can bolt them together to machine the hole in the middle. So putting the sprue in the middle doesn't cause any harm or extra machine time, and as long as its around 5/8 to 3/4 with a pretty good sized pouring basin on top you don't get any shrink in it even with C/I.

A good way to do it would be to cnc a new pattern on a plate but put them in a star pattern, and a big bob in the middle and with runners to each one into either the screw lug of the lug where the rod connects. I would use a screw lug and vent out the other end. And pour all 5 at one time.
That part was poured as a test of the oilbonded sand I mixed up out of some Quikrete play sand to see how the sand would act with some real heat. Aluminum just can't get the sand hot enough to see if it will slag up, this worked pretty good with no slag. The metal was a bunch of keys that I was suppose to destroyed (guess they won't work any more) and a valve out of a propane tank and a small piece of yellow brass. I think the keys had a lot of copper in them, does anyone know why it has that black skin on the metal, I know its just surface discoloration but its because of one of the metals. I guess I should of gave it a good stir before pouring.