new furnace and burner , this look right?

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
HT1

Re: new furnace and burner , this look right?

Post by HT1 »

alright is this what you mean, now keep in mind you are looking at the forms from the bottomm of the furnace

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Exactly, now the tuyere will some in right across the spigot/drain so if you want to tilt it back while melting it will pool without running out the tuyere. Be sure to have the tuyere 1/2" or so up off the bottom.

One thing about making it so it will tilt is the burner has to move with it, I just use a tiny little bilge blower and it is all munged together so I can easily hang it on the furnace.

Awhile back one of the guys on the old BYMC forum did a slick tilting rig where the CoG of the furnace held it in place tilted back and of course it sat level on its legs tilted forward. Just two positions where it would sit on its own then he could pour ingots from it using a lever/handle to control it between these two positions.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

looks OK to me.
Mine pours from the other end of the tube, and yes the flame can shoot the spout if I turn it up.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
HT1

Post by HT1 »

sorry for the absence, took a week for thanksgiving, then spent a week sick from all the travel

Well the new furnace is done and properly tested, 10 inch bore with a 1 inch hybrid burner, cut my melt times in half.... 3/4 inch Kruzite GR Plus Hotface over1.75 in. Kruzite 22, a varmiculite insulater All I have to say i I need some new safety gear. It gave my faceshield a lovely warp, and the CHannel locks are no longer an acceptable set of tongs. all and all a Success. I still wish I could get those 45 minute brass melts people brag about, though I have not set up the oil burner yet.

HT1
dallen

Post by dallen »

it takes a while to melt an A10 full of brass
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

dallen wrote:it takes a while to melt an A10 full of brass
Especially from a cold start, subsequent melts should go much faster and even faster still if you get a real good preheat on the ingots.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller