Convertible Furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
Harry
Site Admin

Convertible Furnace

Post by Harry »

With David talking about a top hat design for his new furnace for a better setup in pulling the #20 full of iron I got to thinking (trouble ahead), what about making a top hat with the tuyere a few inches high and a bowl in the bottom, spigot on the side setup and two tops. One tall one for using as a crucible furnace and a short one with no lid for direct melting?

The only thing I can think of is the plinth would have to be pretty tall to get the crucible up above the tuyere but that shouldnt be any kind of problem. Kind of a two furnaces in one deal using the same bottom. Would sure make constructing the bottom easier too with it being maybe just an inch about the tuyere. Only issue I can think of is sealing, I have noted in the past using oil that before the furnace is hot it will get into any little crack and burn slowly causing smoke. Since switching to the hybrid propane/oil setup I dont see any of this as combustion seems much more complete right from a cold start. Once the furnace is up to 1000 degrees or so I shut the propane off and the heat of the furnace makes sure there is no stray oil.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
HT1

Re: Convertible Furnace

Post by HT1 »

Thsi guy has the snaziest furnace of the Lift coil type I can imagine
http://www.mikescncshop.com/metal-casting/furnace
if nothing else you have to admire his craftsmanship, it's imaculate

I'm not sure how a interchangable section could be made, well short of an overhead lifting option since the furncae must be lifted straight up, becuase all the angles for a leverage type lift would change as sizes change... well that is not entirely correct, I can think of a way to do it but I cannot see it being portable... Alrigh I can see it being portable like Steve Chastain's tilting furnace, though it would be very big and heavy

I think Harry's furnace in a pit is a more practicle application, though