Would like to build a furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
timewarp

Would like to build a furnace

Post by timewarp »

Hi, Now I need a furnace. My friend Doug posted this video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10hqYGI ... AAAAAAAPAA
Some thoughts I have had. I would like to melt Aluminum, and maybe later Cast iron. Burner will be Dual fuel diesel/propane - copied from previous work done by Dave Allen. I would like to be able to melt in a crucible, and also in the bottom of the furnace. I am not worried too much about efficiency, but rather cost and durability - so I was thinking a 45 gallon drum with a layer of concrete, then High temp castable refractory on the inside? Does this sound ok? Has anyone built a similar rig that I can shamelessly copy? Should I weld a pipe in for the burner to sit in or will this melt at higher temps?
Thanks everyone, Paul
Rocco

Re: Would like to build a furnace

Post by Rocco »

Melting aluminum is really easy, you can get away with almost anything but if you want to eventually melt cast iron, especially if you want to melt directly in the furnace, I think you're going to want something more insulative than just standard refractory and concrete after all, the last thing you want is for the cast iron to freeze up in the bottom of your furnace and limiting heat loss will go a long ways toward preventing that.

BTW, you're in pretty good company with Doug and Super Dave, if you solicit their advice, you're not going to go too far wrong.