Alaska anyone?

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
46WDX

Alaska anyone?

Post by 46WDX »

Anyone on this form from Alaska? Looking for a sorce for all my foundry build needs. (hotface, refractory, insulation...etc) Thanks!
Rasper

Re: Alaska anyone?

Post by Rasper »

F.C. is. He last signed on here on may 7. He should be back on soon.

R
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Hey HOMIE!!!! :D

Where you at? If you're close we DEFINATELY need to get together!! :lol: What's your skill set? How long you been casting?
46WDX

Post by 46WDX »

Well....my skill set is the only metal I've melted are beer cans in the fire pit. You have to start somewhere. I'm in and out of Big Lake all the time. I would like to build a furnace this summer, have most everything I need except hot face, insulation, etc. So would like to pick your brain on where to purchase these things.
driverof17n@yahoo if e-mail works better.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Give me a shout on my cell... 980-5929... I live out behind the Butte close to Knik River.

Frank
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Is this guy still float'n around? Just now noticed this post... it was waaaaay back in May, hell, that was before I decided it was time to sell and move south. LOL.....

Like moths to a flame... they seem to appear out of nowhere then in a flit they're off into the night again. He never did call my cell. I'm guess'n he probably had contacts up there that told him about me, and chances are those that did were the unscrupulous ones I had the misfortune of meeting, helping, and wasting time with. They were the leaches in life that suck success from others without giving back to help others. last one I had the misfortune of helping took (stole) one of my alaska state trailer hitch covers I designed and had been producing for side income. I had so many I naturally never noticed one gone. Then, after leaving state back in '06 and returning in '08 I noticed that hitch cover had been reproduced and spread about the Anchorage area... but the quality of cast sucked, which is typical of the low lifes that steal for profit, they don't know shit about how it's done right, all they want is a quick profit. They come into your shop, smile wide, talk up a storm of wildeyed ideas then "POOF" they're gone, but later surface having attempted to duplicate your equipment, your patterns, etc. FUCKERS. HAHA..... they never hang with ya long enough to actually LEARN anything useful. Damn fools.... HAHAHAHA...

Not say'n this guy's one of 'em, just seems to mimic their initial behavior is all. That last one (described above) I even GAVE him a furnace, my sand recovery system, and a thousand lbs of casting sand I'd been using and was well seasoned. I'll wager the furnace is now at the land fill, or rusted beyond function, and all that sand was used on his driveway in the winter for traction due the ice. I should'a kept that furnace :roll: The sand recovery equipment he probably suckered some gold panner into buy'n.

Oh well...

On to a new beginning... 8-) Scored me a hot water heater a while back and got 'er stripped, gutted, and ready for installing casters, lid hardware, and lining. Figure it'll make me two small furnaces to handle #12 crucibles. My caldron aluminum furnace is ready for action, and yesterday I got my welding station finished and the welder wired in. I'll be get'n Tiggy-wid-it" soon... 8-) . Will post some pics soon, too.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

He hasn't been on since May of 2012, the last time he posted. But, I've been trying this since 2007 and I'm still just getting started. Now I'm doing some forge work with a group of Blacksmiths in Chattanooga. It's fun but I'm still going to stick to melting and smelting. I wanted to smelt some ore this summer but didn't get that far. Probably be better to do it in the fall when it's lots cooler outside.
Glad to hear you're getting set up where you are. I got my garage built last year and I still don't have it wired up. Been kind of waiting until the building inspector forgets about me, He wants some stupid fee for an electrical permit and I have to have a licensed electrician do the work. I've worked with wiring about my whole life, helped my dad wire up the house and have worked with everything from 12 vdc to 13,800 v electric arc furnaces. Stupid bureaucrats!!! All it's about is getting money for the county and for their buddies, they are quick to recommend someone to do the work.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

It's no different here... inspector's have the same requirement, BUT... if the work is already done (by you) all you need is a licensed electrician "approve & sign off on it", i.e., "inspect it" for code and application. If you have proof an electrician checked it out the inspector need only come and give it his blessing. Yeah, it's BS and only serves to put money in a pocket undeserving of it, but it is what it is. I did all my wiring with the help of a friend (using an old DYI handbook once printed for hobbyists and homeowners). Short of the electrician having to change a few BS things (the inspector wanted me to add more length to slack loops at outlets, effectively requiring me to re-wire with longer lengths between services, and use a different brand of outlet at a few locations) but it passed code and only cost me $50 of the electrician's time, plus a few beers and the enjoyment of making a new friend. We didn't pull any wire and replace with longer lenghts, though. The inspector, of course, HAS TO FIND SOMETHING to call foul on and he did, but the electrician made sure he was there on site when he visited and got in his face about it and threatened to file a complaint because it was WRONG what he was insisting was code. The inspector finally said it was "optional" to do it either way (which, again, was bullshit) so we left it as is and he left. I still got billed for the inspector's fee but I saved a shit load of cash doing all the labor myself. Right is right, whether you're a novice doing the work or a professional. As for the permit to wire that shop, recall that I built it on a $25 "outbuilding" permit which according to the wording said it need only be 60 ft. from any structure and 90 ft from the property line, no mention how big or small its limitations were to be. It also said it could be wired for electricity but nowhere did it mention or imply the structure required permits of any kind short of the $25 initial permit mentioned. That permit did, in fact, state this was the only permit issued that didn't require any construction inspections. The gray area was in the electrical which in this state ALL electrical requires inspection and professionals to do the work (or at least sign off on it). But there are plenty of professionals out there that are good-ole-boys and will do a man a favor and look things over for compliance purposes relatively cheap.