4cylndrfury's furnace v1.0 adventure

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
4cylndrfury

4cylndrfury's furnace v1.0 adventure

Post by 4cylndrfury »

OK, just a writeup of my first real furnace (Im not counting my crazy, all portland mortar, charcoal fired debacle):

The shell is a water expansion tank from a hot water heater. I want to say it was about 13" or so across - found it on the side of the road = Free!

Cut open and legs attached with sheet metal screws. Legs were leftover from a garage door kit = free:

A styrofoam plug for the drain:

Foamed castable in the floor:

half inch hotface on the floor:

1 inch strips of ceramic fiber board insulation:

inner form installed, and 2" PVC tuyere form installed:

1" hotface cast:

And the final result is an 11 inch bore, and a 16" depth

I currntly use a section of ceramic board coated in refractory to hold the fibers together for a lid. I need to get cracking on a real lid with a lifting mechanism...lifting the lid with gloved hands is often...uncomfortable. The refractory is chicago firebrick dense alumina castable - got the torn bag free from the remnants bin at a boiler installation place. Same with the ceramic board - corner was broken off and they just wanted to get rid of it.

So this furnace with real castable refractory and ceramic insulation was totally free. A little scrounging can go a long way :D
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Re: 4cylndrfury's furnace v1.0 adventure

Post by Harry »

How is the insulation on the fiber board? Have you measure the temperature of the outside after it has been running for awhile?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

ive been up to a decent yellow heat before - i took a stab at aluminum bronze once and i came close. the exterior was hot enough that carrying the furnace very far was uncomfortable with welding gloves on. but overall is pretty good. i shouldve taken my time and made a better inner core mold for a thinner hotface, the inch thickness takes a loooong time to heat at first, but then climbs pretty quick, and holds temp for quite a while.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I like the idea of a 1" hotface and plan on my next furnace rebuild to have a heavy hotface. That thing will last a long time with no worries.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller