First furance!

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
volcom7114

First furance!

Post by volcom7114 »

Ok guys here is a stat to finish with my furnace and i wanted to share this with everyone and also i want to give a BIG thanks to Dallen and Doug & Kay from SVSEEKER.COM this is where i got the furnace plans for the one i built...So here are some pics and if anyone wants to know anything ask away and remember be easy on me as this is my first furnace i ever built and Im also building a smaller one out of a 35gl drum the one in the pic is made from a 55gl drum Im not sure how many pics i can load onto this but ill put them all up with an explanation for each pic...
Attachments
Here are all my materials and all of it is rated for 3000f.
Here are all my materials and all of it is rated for 3000f.
This was the build and i didnt go three brick high that whould of been way over kill two high was plenty and I cut the drum off 23 1/2" from the bottom.
This was the build and i didnt go three brick high that whould of been way over kill two high was plenty and I cut the drum off 23 1/2" from the bottom.
This was my first firing of the furnace and the curing of the castable and mortar so I don't it with a much to small LPG burner that was not made for this furnace and i had a heck of a time getting it to stay in the hole with out the "bell" wanting to fall into the furnace so i got tired of fighting it and just let it be as it was only going to be fired to 1200F and the mazzou castable needs to be fired starting by as little heat as you can give it after you have let it sit for 24 hours at between 72-100F i use a pellet stove to heat my house and its in my basement so that room was perfect then you start your burner as low as you can for one hour then take it up 100f an hour per inch of castable until you reach 1200F (i had an inch in a half of mazzou in the lid and under it was two layers of 2"x24"x12.5' 8lb per sqft ceramic fiber blanket then shut it down and let it cool until at room temp.. Also made my plinth with the mazzou and fired them with the furnace at the same time they are diff sizes and stacked on top of each other with a piece of cardboard between each but not on the bottom..
This was my first firing of the furnace and the curing of the castable and mortar so I don't it with a much to small LPG burner that was not made for this furnace and i had a heck of a time getting it to stay in the hole with out the "bell" wanting to fall into the furnace so i got tired of fighting it and just let it be as it was only going to be fired to 1200F and the mazzou castable needs to be fired starting by as little heat as you can give it after you have let it sit for 24 hours at between 72-100F i use a pellet stove to heat my house and its in my basement so that room was perfect then you start your burner as low as you can for one hour then take it up 100f an hour per inch of castable until you reach 1200F (i had an inch in a half of mazzou in the lid and under it was two layers of 2"x24"x12.5' 8lb per sqft ceramic fiber blanket then shut it down and let it cool until at room temp.. Also made my plinth with the mazzou and fired them with the furnace at the same time they are diff sizes and stacked on top of each other with a piece of cardboard between each but not on the bottom..
Another pic of the inside.. the little chunk of IFB that's on the floor of the furnace in from of the burner fell in due to me using some scrap IFB to hold the way to small burner in the center of the hole and i tried to keep the bell back out of the furnace but you will see it was really way to small to start with and kept wanting to fall in like you see it so i said heck with it and left it..
Another pic of the inside.. the little chunk of IFB that's on the floor of the furnace in from of the burner fell in due to me using some scrap IFB to hold the way to small burner in the center of the hole and i tried to keep the bell back out of the furnace but you will see it was really way to small to start with and kept wanting to fall in like you see it so i said heck with it and left it..
as you can see that small thrown together propane burner here on the outside.
as you can see that small thrown together propane burner here on the outside.
Last edited by volcom7114 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
volcom7114

Re: First furance!

Post by volcom7114 »

Here are the rest of the pics and also any feedback is good feed back after all this is my first furnace and ill be mixing my waste oil with Diesel but also i have a heat exchanger from an old boiler that Im going to run the oil though also and it is controlled and only heats the oil to 125f before its run into the nozzle and the oil is filtered with a Beckett burner from a trailer furnace i do away with the burner and blower and just use the motor and the pump as a two line system and i have a semi truck screw on filter on the inlet line and a #2 oil filter system you would have for your trailer oil on the outlet line but i havent had to change that filter at all yet the spin on does a good job...

Thanks guys Dennis
Attachments
the LPG burner I used for brake in...
the LPG burner I used for brake in...
This is the burner set up that will be used it is a waste oil burner but ill start it on propane..Big thanks to Dallen for helping with this!
This is the burner set up that will be used it is a waste oil burner but ill start it on propane..Big thanks to Dallen for helping with this!
This is the set up together I used an electric leaf blower hooked to a 15 amp router speed control I got off ebay for around 20 bucks..
This is the set up together I used an electric leaf blower hooked to a 15 amp router speed control I got off ebay for around 20 bucks..
The set up on the back of the burner it will have an air regulator in back of the needle valve its ordered just not here yet..The nozzle is a waste oil siphon 1 gph nozzle made by Hago Delvan.
The set up on the back of the burner it will have an air regulator in back of the needle valve its ordered just not here yet..The nozzle is a waste oil siphon 1 gph nozzle made by Hago Delvan.
This is the leaf blower hooked up to the burner tube i turned down a chunk of alum to fit in the blower and bored it to fit the pipe its a slide fit held by a set screw and the blower can still be used to blow leaf's lol
This is the leaf blower hooked up to the burner tube i turned down a chunk of alum to fit in the blower and bored it to fit the pipe its a slide fit held by a set screw and the blower can still be used to blow leaf's lol
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Looks great to me... Good job!!
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

thanks F.C. this is a copy of dallen and Doug and Kay's furnace from svseeker.com i liked it so much cuz of the size and the little space it takes up so i built one and dallen helped me with building the nozzle.So a big thanks to him!also having a lathe and mill made building the burner easier. :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

unless you have a reason for it being so long the leg your blower hooks to can be shortened considerablely just to compact the burner. but if your happy with it like that leave it no reason to change it either.

good looking furnace

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Great build, it's really large. Hope you can handle big melts. :) I really like the bricks.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

Dave I did leave it on the longer side so I could have adjustment later and I do plan on making it shorter but I had 3 diff blowers and didn't know what one to use then after having to put my 93 year old gram in a home I found this electric leaf blower and I thought hmm how perfect but and a big but it had been in her basement for many years and the brushes were stuck to the armature and really bad so I took it all apart and here come to find out its really meant to use and throw away the brushes are not replace able and the plastic holders for them I had to brake off to free everything up and so they are JB welded back in place so I don't know how long this is going to last so for right now im going to keep it on the long side until I find a better blower.The other blowers I have didn't have a round exit hole and this did that's why i went though the trouble... Jammer it looks a lot bigger in the pics than what it really is I mean it is a large furnace but it 12 inches id and made from a 55gl drum cut 23 1/2 inches from the bottom and the top of it where the bung holes are is the bottom with two chunks of flat thin steel covering the holes and a layer of the mortar over the bottom to level out the brick then I cut 5 inches off the other end witch don't have any holes and put two layers of ceramic fiber blanket that's 2 inches thick in it then some SS 1/8th inch bar welded around to make a cage and I poured the mazzou castable in the lid and it worked out great only thing I wasn't happy with and I still an not happy with is the lid fit to the base I used tape to give me a nice line to follow around it but still wasn't good enough and was not cut flat... so I had to seal it up the best I could using some castable on top the bast its self .... Dave helped out with the burner making and was on top of things their for sure this burner is his work I just copied it that's all but he made me the spin vain... Im also making a smaller one for just alum out of a 35 gl drum since I have brick and such left over and it will run on propane I think unless I find a way to make a GOOD small oil nozzle for cheap lol anyway that's my story lol