Foundry redevelopment

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
mite5255

Re: Foundry redevelopment

Post by mite5255 »

I redid the burner so its naturally aspirated, and it worked, sort off, it was taking all the air from my compressor, and I’m thinking that’s been my problem all along. The compressor that I have, my late father had and I think it’s a 8cfm but was purchased in the late 70’s so I’m thinking it may be losing some efficacy
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Glad to hear that your making advances on your burner problem.

not trying to side track you but how far from the end of the tube did you have the siphon nozzle set at, and how far is the end of the oil delivery tube positioned at, you shouldn't have to use very much compressor air with the blower that you have if things are working, Myelf I wouldn't try to run with just natural air, but would hook u the blower even if you have to damper it almost shut

My burner has no problem melting metal as long as the nozzle doesn't have anything in it or the O-ring isn't leaking.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:Glad to hear that your making advances on your burner problem.

not trying to side track you but how far from the end of the tube did you have the siphon nozzle set at, and how far is the end of the oil delivery tube positioned at, you shouldn't have to use very much compressor air with the blower that you have if things are working, Myelf I wouldn't try to run with just natural air, but would hook u the blower even if you have to damper it almost shut

My burner has no problem melting metal as long as the nozzle doesn't have anything in it or the O-ring isn't leaking.
Nozzle was about two inches inside the tube, I will be trying it with the blower connected, I'll be a little busy most of tomorrow and on Wednesday we're heading off for a few days, so I'll do some more experimenting when we get back
dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote:

Nozzle was about two inches inside the tube, I will be trying it with the blower connected, I'll be a little busy most of tomorrow and on Wednesday we're heading off for a few days, so I'll do some more experimenting when we get back
on the siphon nozzle the ti should be like almost at the end of the tube so that the oil won't impinge on it and cause pooling in the bottom of the furnace. the end of the oil feed line on the burner set up that was in the video from Jerry should be almost at the end of the tube also for the same reason. You want the nozzle positioned so that the oil doesn't hit the tube, don't worry about the nozzle getting hot with the blower running the cold air your pumping in will keep it cool enough that the O-ring will survive, I pull my burner out when I shut it down so that the tube end doesn't soak up the heat and cook the nozzle, plus to stop the heat from blowing back up the tube cause of plastics parts I use in my burner setups.

DA

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
mite5255 wrote:

on the siphon nozzle the ti should be like almost at the end of the tube so that the oil won't impinge on it and cause pooling in the bottom of the furnace. the end of the oil feed line on the burner set up that was in the video from Jerry should be almost at the end of the tube also for the same reason. You want the nozzle positioned so that the oil doesn't hit the tube, don't worry about the nozzle getting hot with the blower running the cold air your pumping in will keep it cool enough that the O-ring will survive, I pull my burner out when I shut it down so that the tube end doesn't soak up the heat and cook the nozzle, plus to stop the heat from blowing back up the tube cause of plastics parts I use in my burner setups.

DA
I'll try that Dave, I always pulled the burner out also plus I keep pumping air for about five minutes
dallen

Post by dallen »

I checked my burner nozzle this morning and the tip is about a 1/2" 13MM from the end of the tube. next time I fire right or wrong I'll video it and post it up so you can see the thing in operation.

got up this morning and tried to fire up and melt some cast iron, but the foundry god decided to crap on my parade today and nothing was done, due to the nozzle getting trash in it and the oil couldn't flow it should, so after te helper left I found the one of the green scrub pads put out by or gods at 3M works great as a filter so I emptied the tank straining the oil thru one then tired one around the inlet on the pump and pumped the back into the tank. I'll sure be glad when all the oil that my neighbor gave me is gone.

Anyway on Wednesday we will try it again to see how much can screw up to mess with my day.

DA

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Have I mentioned the trouble free operation of Brute oil burners yet? Oops! I guess I have. Too many times. In fact, I am beating a dead horse.

It doesn't matter. The great thing I have found about about metal workers is we can take a joke. Probably due to the nature of the work. Only a lunatic would even attempt it. I used to envy guys who dressed up in suits and went in to nice offices and had pretty secretaries—until I realized how boring it is. Those guys invented the three martini lunch. How else could they face an entire afternoon shuffling more papers back in the office?

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:Have I mentioned the trouble free operation of Brute oil burners yet? Oops! I guess I have. Too many times. In fact, I am beating a dead horse.

It doesn't matter. The great thing I have found about about metal workers is we can take a joke. Probably due to the nature of the work. Only a lunatic would even attempt it. I used to envy guys who dressed up in suits and went in to nice offices and had pretty secretaries—until I realized how boring it is. Those guys invented the three martini lunch. How else could they face an entire afternoon shuffling more papers back in the office?

Richard
Yes you have Richard, man you never give up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......Did you get my email Richard

Nothing sux seeds quite like success, I hooked two compressors together and that gave me enough air, brute burner when well after a 5 min preheat, I took a video but youtube just not playing fair with me today, it just doesn't want to load the video download section :(
dallen

Post by dallen »

Rasper wrote:Have I mentioned the trouble free operation of Brute oil burners yet? Oops! I guess I have. Too many times. In fact, I am beating a dead horse.

Richard
Guess your not going to be needing that bigger blower after all then :D :D :D :D

one thing about it is all I have is time to mess with the damn thing and if it keeps me home and out of trouble I'm happy, and if it doesn't work today it will tomorrow, maybe. just have to fire it up and see what happens.

Mike Glad you were able to make some headway with your problems. just remember that your going to have to pump a ton of air into the furnace to burn all the oil.

DA

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

To days video