Foundry redevelopment

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
mite5255

Re: Foundry redevelopment

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
Rasper wrote:Well, I keep singing the praises of the Lionel Brute and Hot Shot, but alas, to no avail; everyone seems to want to complicate things. Nozzles, pressure tanks, turbulators, pumps. Ayyyy! :D
we all build the burner that we think will do the best job for what we are trying to melt. real burner to me is one that has a 150 HP blower on it and sucks oil at a rate of about 15 GPM, and you guessed it they have the same damn problems burning waste oil. most of my problems stem from oil I got from my Neighbor.

nothing like showing up on a job to find that the 5000 gallons of oil in the tank won't burn without 1000 gallons of diesel being added to the tank, and having to figure out some way to stir up the tank to mix it in.

and I would watch out the burner gods may decide to stop smilling in Mexico :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: , and if I could buy coke here I'd have a cupola.

DA
I can get coke in 44gallon drums at $50 a drum, the only issue is its a 2 hr round trip....I will be making a new burner that won't need a nozzle, it'll be very simula to the brute...I'll also drain my oil tank, there maybe water in the bottom
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

waters hard to burn, I put a drain in the bottom of my tank,

I can get coal but coke is a difficult animal to find here n OK, I do know where there is some at, but the guy won't turn loose with any of it sad thing is he has a whole damn foundry and won't let me play with the toy's. cupola is in really bad shape but could be fixed up good enough to do short melts if a guy wanted to I think ita about 60 inches in diameter or so. it would take a ton of coke just to get it warmed up.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

This is how I manage my waste motor oil:

First I get clean oil. Mostly from motor cycle shops. Motorcycle oil is cleaner. And from shops that work on new cars.

I store it in 5 gallon plastic jugs. I strain it through a fine wire mesh strainer into one gallon plastic jugs and pour those into the tank that feeds the burner as needed. At the beginning of a melt I only have about two gallons of oil in the burner tank. Any water settles to the bottom of the jugs and stays there. I don't empty the jugs completely; I dump that last inch in the trash.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

Rasper wrote:This is how I manage my waste motor oil:

First I get clean oil. Mostly from motor cycle shops. Motorcycle oil is cleaner. And from shops that work on new cars.

I store it in 5 gallon plastic jugs. I strain it through a fine wire mesh strainer into one gallon plastic jugs and pour those into the tank that feeds the burner as needed. At the beginning of a melt I only have about two gallons of oil in the burner tank. Any water settles to the bottom of the jugs and stays there. I don't empty the jugs completely; I dump that last inch in the trash.

Richard
wonder how your setup would work when the temp is around 35 degrees F.

DA

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I haven't seen 35 F. for many years. The coldest it gets here is about 65 F. at 5 am in January. Your post reminds me of how glad I am that I don't have to be cold any more.

Maybe a way to deal with the cold is to only burn 10W-40.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Finely got to try the new brute oil burner, but its not wanting to run correctly

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I'm making a new fuel tank, but there is a major motorsport event on this weekend so I'm be parked in front of the TV, I hope to get some work done tomorrow...... I've taken a heap of long service leave from work, 40 days off all up so I don't go back to work till 20th of October. We'll be going away from next Wednesday and should be away for about seven days...we are booked into these units http://www.nambucca.com.au/waratah/ for next Friday and Saturday nights, we'll then travel about for a few days

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

well for one I can understand the not letting foundry stuff get in the way of a major motorsports event but only if the fridge is stocked well with cold refreshments and snacks

DA

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I can't see the blower and air supply pipe in the video. It looks to me like if you put the lid on, put a crucible in there, and pump in more air, you will have a winner. It takes a hot, hot furnace for these things to burn right.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:I can't see the blower and air supply pipe in the video. It looks to me like if you put the lid on, put a crucible in there, and pump in more air, you will have a winner. It takes a hot, hot furnace for these things to burn right.

Richard
Yep, your correct Richard, I was trying to reinvent the damn wheel and it didn't work ;) This system that I'm trying won't need a blower.