Mini Furnace

All About Furnaces in this Forum.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Mini Furnace

Post by Harry »

Nudge wrote:lookin good, now hurry up and give it heat :twisted:
Yes it does look good. I am still trying to visualize the flame trainer portion you had mentioned though. On the one I did there was just about an inch or twos difference in the diameters of the plinth and the flame trainers opening. That really set the flame right up around the crucible and actually kept the crucible a couple hundred degrees hotter than the inside of the furnace bore above the trainer.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

Thanks for the encouragement guys :) It's cookin now!

I need to do a mortared lid, but I melted a few pounds of Al WAY faster than my old furnace. Maybe 15 min or so? I'll time it better, had some burner tuning issues at the start, but it was FAST!

The flame trainer right now is just a firebrick plinth. Going to make a shaped mortared plinth.

The mortar seems to have held up well for the first melt. We shall see... The good thing about it is that it is available at Lowes. So if it works for me, it could work for people who can't get castable right away.

The whole thing is about 15.5 inches tall and 11.5 diameter. Quiet too :)
Attachments
Mmmm Melty! Seems to make VERY even heat.
Mmmm Melty! Seems to make VERY even heat.
Now we're cookin!
Now we're cookin!
Image06172011035716.jpg
First firing with crucible
First firing with crucible
Only the highest standards of precision!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Hay, that is lookin HOT :twisted: Nice work, I like the nice shiny shell too. It has bling!
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looks real good... now make something :D
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller