Gas Burner

The Heat is ON in Here.
Jammer

Re: Gas Burner

Post by Jammer »

I went to the forge today and the president had a small gas forge set up. It wasn't putting out much heat and only got the steel up near to orange heat. I looked it over but can't figure out what was wrong. They think it's working fine..?? The tube is 1/2" pipe but I don't know how big the orifice is. Using 3 or 4 pounds propane pressure.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but these naturally aspirated burners can be very tricky.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:I went to the forge today and the president had a small gas forge set up. It wasn't putting out much heat and only got the steel up near to orange heat. I looked it over but can't figure out what was wrong. They think it's working fine..?? The tube is 1/2" pipe but I don't know how big the orifice is. Using 3 or 4 pounds propane pressure.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but these naturally aspirated burners can be very tricky.
Go for it Jerry, your not hijacking the thread, its all relevant ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Here's a short clip of the furnace with the gas burner running Dave, flames rather hard to see tho, when I come off night-shift I'll do another when its a bit darker outside
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Her's a better video of the gas burner flame, it is fluffing a little but it all smooths out once the lid is put on

dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote:Her's a better video of the gas burner flame, it is fluffing a little but it all smooths out once the lid is put on
it smooth's out when the lid is put on because of the back pressure in the furnace, if its putting out the heat that you need you should be fine, I would look for an air source other then the air compressor just to take the wear and tear off of it.

The biggest problem with a NA burner is getting it so that it will draw in the amount of air that is needed for it to make the heat that you need, there is more to them then just the right size gas orfice, the length of the tube has a lot to do with if they will burn correctly or be a pain in the AZZ.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette