Vaporizing oil Burners

The Heat is ON in Here.
Bill Toomey

Vaporizing oil Burners

Post by Bill Toomey »

I haven't been able to cast much lately because all of my burners have just been so finicky to start. Very depressing.

Anyway, I want to get my evaporator oil burner running again and I was wondering if the element from a 115v hotplate would be sufficient to vaporize about 1gph of veggie oil thats already been heated to "coffee temperatures" by my super top secret veggie oil energizing apparatus.

One of the original problems that plagued andrei's original design was that the area of the bottom of the evaporator is fairly small so much heat must be pumped into a small spot. I have welded up a "tuna can" sized thing (its a bit bigger- 4" across), which screws into the burner, out of steel that offers more area for vaporization and contact with a hotplate.

Thanks

Bill
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Vaporizing oil Burners

Post by Harry »

Dont know about the vaporizers Bill, while reading those threads it looked like something that would be fun to play with but I am still leery about coking. I know a few of you guys said you have had no problems with that though so maybe it is unfounded. I have the siphon burner tuned so well that is is tough for me to get the imitative to try something else but then you have to use compressed air with these so that does not fit in for many and going the whole way with fuel metering adds more $'s which isnt for everyone.

Back to your burner though, I would say try it is about the only way to confirm if it will work. One nice thing about the hotplate is that if it runs too hot the control to turn it down is built right in. The thing that is most intriguing to me about these burners is that by converting the oil to a vapor they should burn super clean.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

They are interesting. The fact that they burn oil vapors doesn't necessarily mean they are clean though. Without enough air they can make very sooty flames ranging all the way to very oxidizing flames.

They are clean in the fact that you don't have semi-burned oil on the inside of your furnace.

With my new design of the evaporator, it allows for much more oil to be evaporated at once. As adjusting goes, its very much like an oxy-acetylene torch as flames go. Orange and smokey, white hot neutral and with twinges of purple if you go long enough and angry sizzling white oxidizing.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

The voltage doesn't matter much, it's the watts of the hotplate. As harry was saying, you'll have to try it out and too much heat is always better than not enough. Coking always seems to be a problem with this type of burner, maybe not so much with veggie oil. Keep us updated and posts some pictures. :)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

I will certainly experiment when I get my hands on a hotplace.

I did finally get up off my rear and melt something today. I reduced some more of my window frames to ingots and another cannon to be drilled out. The evaporator burner worked very well. With the improved "tuna can" bottom, I can achieve a larger flame.

I used a #8 crucible (not bcs 8's) to test out my tongs

Still, the downside to this burner, if not major is that I have to always add wood and charcoal to the evaporator's fire. It wasn't so bad, but I ended up using all of my cedar scraps (cedar actually makes charcoal as it burns and doesn't leave much ash) and quite a bit of charcoal. After a while the charcoal price adds up.

The other issue that is most inconvenient is that I can't make molds and tend to my sand as the metal cooks.

But whatever...I FINALLY MELTED SOMETHING!!!!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Bill Toomey wrote:The other issue that is most inconvenient is that I can't make molds and tend to my sand as the metal cooks.
That my young friend is where it is worth the money I have spent in getting my burner to the point where it can be fine tuned for both temperature and atmosphere and will stay where it is set until I make changes via the controls.

I do understand the need for some to stay within particular budget constraints but this is also something that can be put together over time. The little Thomas pump I snagged on eBay makes for a great compressor for a siphon nozzle, is quiet and paired with a small salvaged propane tank would make for a nice little compressor for small jobs in the shop. It was only $50 shipped to me but you have to be careful buying them because many only go to 30 or 40 PSI and some of the people selling them claim they are the higher output 160 PSI pumps and to top it off the manufacturers website does not have model numbers that match up to the ones sold on eBay. I have been thinking about writing them to find out if they have a cross reference list.

The #8 is a good size I would think. I know the #10 served me well for a long time, I am getting set up to move to a #20 soon but then I have poured a few thousand pounds of metal now and my comfort level is growing. I highly recommend starting quite small (I began with about a #5) to get used to the handling and motions then going up slowly as you work things out.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

Yea..I'd love to invest in a siphon nozzle and compressor. The funds are there, but the approval is harder to gain. I have an HVAC burner, but it has a terrible pump that needs replacement. I've put $75 into that already and a new pump would solve it all, but they're not cheap for me.

I was working with one of the 9mm cartridge atomizers, and I got one to atomize, but it broke before real testing could ensue. Faulty repairs and still the need for a compressor at the foundry have put it on hold. Its all in the works though. Yard sale season is coming up and I hope to score a small compressor. Then conversion work on the foundry will take off.

I'm also trying to save for a decent metal lathe right now. If I can get that, I can make a good burner for cheaper. Trouble is those get taken on craigslist before you can bat an eye.

The perils of being a teen with thoughts other xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Bugger the Xbox go for the lathe, At least the lathe will last a lot longer then the box and you can do a lot more with it. ;)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

I know right? My parents don't want me to spend the money on it, meanwhile, if all I did was sit down and play video games, I'd have dropped $600 easily in the price of the system and a few games.