Re: Compressor alternative for a Siphon Burner

Post by Jammer »

Is that 6000 hr or 6.000 hr? Looks a little misleading. :o
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Since they were designed for pick and place machinery I would say 6000 hrs, many other countries use a decimal point for a thousands separator.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

After looking a little more on these I thought this Thomas pump would put out more air. It appears to have a dual shaft motor with a pump at each end. Both of these are piston pumps but the Medo runs by an electromagnet like a fish tank diaphragm pump and this one is reciprocating. The Medo would seem to have a higher service life because of fewer moving parts but I did see claims of these Thomas pumps lasting 10K hrs and it also appears rebuild kits can be had for $20.
$(KGrHqMOKn!E3c3PuFh,BN8S)Z),1Q~~_35[1].JPG
$(KGrHqMOKn!E3c3PuFh,BN8S)Z),1Q~~_35[1].JPG (10.91 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
So I bought the eBay linked pump above for $45 shipped. This will be about half of what I had into the Tiny Compressor and it claims to have a free flow rate of 6.6 cfm and on some others I was reading continuous duty of smaller versions of 30 psi so if it will make 1 cfm at that pressure it will be great.

In my searching for suitable pumps for an oil burner I had focused on the terms compressor and vacuum, once I began looking at pumps I started finding a lot of options that were more in the range that we need for these burners. There is one listing of a Thomas pump on eBay that actually has waste oil burner in its title so I am quite hopeful. Will find out in a week or so, kind of doubt I will get it before the weekend and we have the holiday this weekend so I will continue using the tiny gast pump in the meantime.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I saw one of these Thomas Pumps on eBay with a subtitle for use on a waste oil burner, here is the description
One used Thomas air compressor / vacuum pump. Originally used in an oxygen concentrator. Comes with cord and fuse holder ready to plug in a standard 115v outlet but there are no guards around the moving parts and there is exposed electrical terminals so this is only suited for someone who can make the appropriate modifications. These are quiet air compressors and are great for use with building waste oil furnaces, for pond aeration,air brushes etc. I don't have the specs but I believe these are about 3+ CFM and 90 PSI max. What you see is what you get. Shipping by USPS or UPS. I hope to have more of these soon and I have the rest of the concentrator parts too which I will list ASAP.
Item location: N Kingsville, OH, United States
I remember Ragingslab on the old forum had a supply of these oxygen concentrators and was even giving some away for the cost of shipping. Wonder if that is him selling the pumps on eBay? I did not buy this one because the shipping was pretty high and the buy it now price was $3 over what the one I did get with free shipping was.

Anxious to get this one in and see how it performs, the specs all sound like a winner but you can never tell about specs with compressors.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry, thought I would let you know your link on the thomas pumps says its closed. Anyway it won't let you buy a compressor so you must of gotten iin on th end of the acution

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It was a buy it now David so it ended when I purchased it. Got a fedex tracking number but it is not updated yet so all that means is they have printed a label.

Kind of doubt I will get it before the holiday weekend but who knows I might get lucky. I am very anxious to see what it really puts out. There are loads of these available for under $100 which is about what the parts for the tiny compressor ran so if it will run more than 6 or 8 psi open flow through the .2 gph nozzle then it is a winner.

I should send Ragingslab a note to see if he still has those oxygen generators and if he is or would be willing to sell the pumps from them. One thing to not is there are several classes of these pumps that look very similar, some have a low psi output at 30 psi continuous while others go up to 160 psi. The 30 psi would probably be enough but I am thinking the higher output pumps could possibly be turned down with a router speed control giving a wide range of adjustment and maybe eliminate the use of a secondary air blower if enough air could be introduced through the nozzle for however much oil is being used.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

I seen some burners once while on a job in alaska, they were nothing more than a cone basicly about like a small styrofoam coffee cut but with a smaller bottom, Plant super found em somewhere, neatest thing you ever saw. They had one of them double diaphragm pumps running on air, pusning diesel fuel to the thing. They were cast out of cast iron.

They were using them to thaw out Asphalt with, they had built bulk shipping tanks for their asphalt out of those short conex containers. these things would thaw one of them out in about four hours. All the other outfits up there that I have worked with used gun burners, like on a home oil heat unit, out in the field tons of problems well you can guess that one I would think.

Once the end of the cone would get hot so the thing would stay lit they burned clean, the stainless steel liners they fired into would get hot enough to erode from the flame.
I have given these burners a lot of thought using one of them would be no differant then the syphon burner that you are using now. the only thing you have to have for them to work is an electric fuel pump capable of probably 35 PSI should run on less then that.
I've never seen them anywhere else. but they sure make a dent in the stuff you have to have to support a burner.
David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Got the Thomas pump in today, did not do much more than put a cord on it to plug it in and rigged up a gauge using some 1/2" vinyl tube to the outlet side. It has a flare on the outlet tube so I put a hose clamp on but did not tighten it enough to seal and fired the pump up. While it was running I cinched down the clamp to close off the escaping air. It quickly went up to 100 PSI with a lot of air whistling out of it and started to blow up the tubing like a balloon so I quickly shut it down.

There are several different models of these pumps and they are either 25, 100 or 160 PSI, it looks like I ended up with the high PSI pump. Tough to get any kind of real information on them because they have oem model numbers on them rather than standard retail model numbers so if anyone is going to buy one it pays to research if you are after a specific type. There are also diaphragm and piston, this one is what they call WOB-L piston, the piston has a short stroke and it looks like about a 2" diameter with one at each end of the pump.

I think this is going to put out way more air than I need for my burner but at around 400 watts not too bad to leave running with a bypass for adjustment or hopefully it will work on the router speed control so it can be slowed down. These things are super easy to rebuild once you are able to locate the proper rebuild kit and they are meant to run continuous for tens of thousands of hours. This one came mounted on rubber feet with a very nice 110v fan below it, the fan is not like a computer fan even though it looks like an oversized one. This fan is made of metal rather than plastic. I would guess the $45 I paid for this setup is less than what that fan cost new.

Looks like I am going to be very happy with this new pump, will be casting tomorrow if the thunder storms are done so i will report on how it turns out.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well got curious and went out checked the speed control, it does not work. Well it works for controlling the speed of the motor but the motor bogs and stalls on the compression part of the stroke. Maybe at low pressure with open flow through the burner it will be ok but not too promising looking the way I have it hooked up now.
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

have you abandoned the Gast pump? Im still thinking thats the way to go personally. The pump, coupled to the right motor with the right power supply seems like the best option IMHO for simplicity and longevity. The new job has me a little out of sorts right now, but I will figure out a way to make time to get my own siphon setup running, and I am going to use that Gast pump in mine...unless you find something better lol
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison