oil syphon burners

The Heat is ON in Here.
dallen

oil syphon burners

Post by dallen »

Harry what size tube or pipe is your burner build on or I should say of. I have a nozzle and adapter on order should be here first part of this coming week. I just need to know what size pipe you used for the burner tube and how long you cut it.

David Allen
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Re: oil syphon burners

Post by Nudge »

The pipe that mine is in is a 4" and maybe 5" long. and if you are talking about the oil feed pipe it is 3/8" inside

I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

What diameter is the pipe Nudge?

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Mine is in a 3" tuyere. The nozzle itself slides into the tuyere a little and is supported by the turbine. I dont think it matters a whole lot as long as the pipe is large enough for the nozzle the center up in it. I have a piece of dryer vent tubing around it so it is adjustable on how far it will slide in. The vent is fastened to the little bilge blower.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The tuyere is a touch over 4" something like 4 1/8" the pipe itself is 4".
The problem I have is my vent hole is only 3". this is because I use to have a 2" burner (my first home built one (the Nudge burner)) I am still using a home built one it is just mark 2. :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

got the nozzle and gonna shoot for a 2 inch burner to start with as that is the size of the hole in the funrace at the moment, I plan on relining so when that happens I will go for a 3 inch tube.

tips, hints, snide comments, give me your thoughts on this. I got a I belive a .9 gph nozzle

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

All I have to say is fire it up. If you have any troubles we will sort them. Be sure to put that fancy turbine you made on it.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Mine started out as a 2", I changed it to 4" to fit the blower better. I had been using a vacumn cleaner but it was too loud :shock:

this was the old blower and air bypass
DSC00604.JPG
air bypass.jpg
air bypass.jpg (153.08 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
That looks like it might be my old burner too, it needed pre heat :evil: I dont have that any more.
But, I still have the blower just in case the other one craps out. :roll:
dallen

Post by dallen »

gonna give it another shot today, or I may just use my new pistol to really give it a shot,,,

I was adding my blower to the thing yesterday when it got to late and I had to go find something to eat for supper. I am going to tap in a gas line today so I can fire up on propane and them switch it over to oil. It was burning pretty good yesterday when I fired it up on oil but wouldn't get hot, when I hooked up the Vac Blower to it I couldn't get it to light on just oil so we will see, I think I was pumping it too much oil this should in five minutes have had the wall starting to glow, will take pictures today and post, I will get it running, I may switch over to one of the Forced Draft Blowers I have I have one I adapted a two inch floor flange to so its dead easy to hook it up to a schedule 40 burner tube and with the variac to control voltage I don't need a tee or y fitting makes burner smaller. Should the end of the tip be any certain distance back inside the tube or flush with the end of it.

I'm going to keep adding to this today as I play with the burner at times.

I got the LPG line hooked up today and fired it on gas to start with by lighting a piece of Kaowool that I had swabbed up some spilt fuel with. turned on the air and diesel and watched the thing burn like it was suppose to, I left the gas on during the whole episode. I did have to raise the fuel container up higher to get better flow, I had it sitting on top of a junk gear box that is destined for the crucible some day, anyway I placed it on top of a big block that I use to bead things on this helped I was able to get a better fuel flow.

I know it reached Brass/Bronze temp as the piece I was holding in my blacksmith tongs melted. So thats a sure indication that I am going in the right direction. now to just get the thing so that it will melt Iron. I belive that it may do it without anymore tinkering as the plith block that was in the furnace was glowing almost white.
Sorry I didn't take a pictures yet. I promise I will.
Harry a guestion for you if you don't mine, you put a fuel pump onto your setup I believe what type pump did you use. I have some small Hydraulic pumps that I could rig up and a DC motor that just might pull one of them if the pressure isn't too high. I would really like to get away from the Air Compressor setup, by using a fuel pump and a blower I shouldn't need the air compressor to atomize the fuel I would think the pump pressure should be enough.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

David, the blower air required is very low. Sounds like you might have been giving too much if it wasnt getting hot. Note the bypass Nudge showed, I use a little 12v bilge blower on a DC motor speed controller to be able to turn it down.

On placement, I have used mine from the very end of the tuyere to almost flush with the inside wall of the furnace and cant really say which is the absolute best. I think there are several variables that will change this once you get settled on oil, air ect... currently I have been running with the tip of the nozzle just inside of the tuyere which puts it probably 4" back from the inside bore of the furnace. The roar will tell you when you have things right, plus the flame just as it enters the furnace will have a blue/white look to it before it turns yellow and swirls around the furnace.

The propane plumbed in is something I have wanted to do but just havent gotten around to it. I think the furnace just seems to burn a little better when I have the torch in there to light it and this is such a small amount of propane so plumbing in a 5 gallon bottle and letting it run at least until up to heat wouldnt use much at all.
Muller