oil syphon burners

The Heat is ON in Here.
Nudge

Re: oil syphon burners

Post by Nudge »

The tip of the nozzle on my setup is back about 1" from the end of the 4" pipe. I found this to be the best place (for my setup) I push the burner tube in so that the inside edge is almost inside the furnace. That edge is getting a little oxide, It could be cut off but I don't see the point.

If I get time I will see if I can take a few more pics to help out.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

got out and played with the burner some more actually melted some iron, about 10 pounds did it in and hour and a half, was running like 15 psi on the nozzle and 10 psi on the propane, finally raised the propane up to around 12 pounds don't think the nebighors are gonna like the roar of this one. added some limestone dust to the mix to help with the slag but not sure it helped but that may be just from the propane wanting to slack off at that moment from the bottle doing the freeze.

Heres some back yard shots
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 011-10-15/
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Could you not get it up to temp with just the oil? Have you tryed cutting the oil with about 10% diesel?
I have never done iron so I have no idea. :oops:
dallen

Post by dallen »

it wants to go out if I cut the propane, it does give me a tremendous savings on propane though, and thats a big help. I had my A10 half full of molten Cast Iron last night, before when I finished and poured, and the frost was only up to about the 5/8 mark on the bottle and this was with the gas pressure running at a misserly 10 PSI.
Anyway the refractory the wall is poured out of is melting and starting to pool into the bottom of the furnace I was in a bit of a hurry last night to skim the slag, pour the ingots, and rake the crucible out, and put it back in the furnace that I forgot about taking a picture of the inside of the furnace, will get one today. I will also try to weigh the bottle that I use before and after to get an idea of how much propane that I use.

I know that the nozzle is suppose to run at the highest air PSI of 5 pounds but I have been running it at like 15 PSI, guess I should use a larger nozzle I also need to figure out a turbulator to put in the end of the thing. guess its tear down time to see what and how many changes I can build into this thing. I saw one on YouTube that a guy in Aus did it waht looks like 1.5 inch stainless steel tubing that has the nozzle what looks like about 6 inches back up in the tube, and it runs great with no turbulator.

Melt time was compareable to what I had been getting for iron on propane, it took and hour and 20 minutes last night from the time I started till I put the empty Crucible back in the furnace.

DAllen

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

David, you can run the nozzle at higher air pressure it just uses more compressed air that way. That is the idea behind a secondary blower for the rest of the combustion air, this way you can use just enough compressed air to atomize the oil then supplement with the easier to produce blower air.

On the melt time, I dont think that is bad for a good sized pot of iron from a cold furnace especially if you have a thick walled furnace that takes a little while to get to heat. I would imagine a second pot would come along quickly if you were pouring more at one time.

I cant imagine that it did not want to run without the propane once the furnace is over 1000* because at this point the oil is flashing into a gas as soon as it enters the furnace. When you shut the propane down you will need to adjust the air/oil mix, probably turn the oil up a little to make up for the missing fuel of the propane no longer being present.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

I fired the thing back up again today, and was just doing peachy when everything went to hell. ran out of oil, not enough propane in the bottle that I had hooked up to finish with so I jerked the crucible out tried to empty it, that was a joke had this great big blob in the bottom, so I grabbed another tank hooked it up got the thing back up on my old burner and due to a stainless steel sleave that had been in the burner port being removed so the tube with the oil nozzle would fit things really got exciting when the pvc parts on the burner started melting. anyway I pulled out this big piece that I had put in the crucible to get some more liquid in the pot that was just starting to melt, throwed it on the ground, pulled the crucible and poured out I hope enough so that it won't crack the crucible when I fire it up again, ( now who's car can I drain the oil out of).

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

You can come over and do an oil change on my car if you like :mrgreen:

It's a bummer when the oil runs out, I aways like to have another 20l on hand just in case of times like that. By the look of your setup, I thing a pressure tank would help a lot with the oil burner or maybe thin the oil a bit to get it to flow better. You should be able to get it to burn without the gas as soon as the crucible is starting to get hot.
dallen

Post by dallen »

I started to stick the hose down in the crankcase on my bike but the hose wasn't long enough, and the lawm mower only holds two quarts and the truck was to far away to go get it, next job I'm on I will get 10 or fifteen gallons of fuel, guys on the asphalt plants will give me all I want long as I bring my own bucket. When I start yesterday I thought that I had a bucket full thats been sitting in the shed for over a year but I guess water dripped into it and filled the bucket up cause its not all oil. and I had hoped for a faster melt time today so I didn't go get any diesel, heck 6 bucks for a pot of molten cast iron I'll pay that any day. Guess I better get me a barrel and go get some tax exempt fuel that will be even cheaper.

But I think I'm starting to like this setup, but I think that I will get a pump and do away with the air compressor, if the nozzle will atomize without it. all I have is one of those little pancake jobsl

Plus I think that I need to make the nozzle so it is adjustable fore and aft and the turbulator fan will also need some looking at does the air really need to spin?

DAllen

dallen

Post by dallen »

I first mentioned this over in the other group, but am moving it over here as its part of this burner that i am trying to put together.
heres a couple pictures of the fan blade that I am wanting to use as a spinner as its just about the right size to fit in a 2 inch pipe although the middle hole is a little large to fit the nozzle but I have a fix for that if I can get a casting of the plastic blade.

heres the shot of it after I rammed up the drag, and then used a small pallet tool to carefully cut the sand away from the blades

this is the cope after ramming it up, I was about to give up when the mold finally came apart and this is what it looked like.

Here is the Drag side with the pattern still in the sand.

After the pattern was removed. there was a little damage from pulling the pattern out, looks like I am going to have to put some draft on it.

And the final product. not a complete part but not bad for a first try from some one that hasn't been doing this very long.

I poured straight into the center of the hub part of the blade with no vents as this will have to have a hole bored in it to fit over the nozzle.

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Get a thin wire and put vent holes at the end of each blade. I also poured into the centre of the fan that I cast.
For what you are using it for why dont you add some tape to the blades to thicken them up a bit?