oil syphon burners

The Heat is ON in Here.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: oil syphon burners

Post by Harry »

David, the term spin vane is perfect. Much better description than turbine and to be honest I never much cared for tubulator. The direction you are going on this will create a cushion of air between the tuyere and the spray which is exactly what it needs. This design keeps the swirling blower air away from the spray cone so it wont just blow itself out. Exactly what I have been after in my own turbine/spin vanes. That looks great.

One other thing I have long thought is a refractory piece to put in front of the nozzle. Some sort of a cone pointing at the oil spray with supporting legs. Ignition would be before this piece so it would go white hot right after startup. This would be a exciter of sorts, kind of like the furnace does once it is warmed up pushing the oil spray into vapor. I keep thinking about the design of the propane turbo torch I have with its fins in the end that go red hot and think some kind of crossover might give another little bump in performance.

Again, the spin vane looks beautiful.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

heres a picture of the business end of a not so large commercial burner from Hauck this one is in the range of a hundred million BTU's
You can see them because they are up inside the burner about a foot behind the nozzle is where the spin vane on this bad little boy resides at and believe me its a bad boy it will take Rock and sand with 5% moisture to over three hundred degrees at a hundred tons and hour all day long, We had rock coming out of this one at up to 500 degrees when first starting the plant up trying to find that sweet spot that will let you bring it up nice and easy and just keep putting more rock in it.

That hole in the cone is where the pilot comes in at the pilot on this burner will probably melt cast iron it runs at about a million BTU's with a flame that when adjusted right is about three feet long. the part that makes it work is the end piece you see with the igniter rod in it and its made out of cast iron. you want some aftehours extra reading I'll find and shot you the manual I got and electronic copy somewhere in this mess.
This was the nozzle that was in the burner to start with when I went to Argentina it was the wrong type, this is a compressed air nozzle works sort of like a Hago Syphon nozzle except that the air isn't used to suck the fuel but strickly to atomize it. and without the rest of the support structure (Aid Compressor big one) it won't work worth a damn. Sorry don't have a picture of a regular nozzle bit if I can find on I will stick it in here somewhere
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

The weather cooperated and it was a beautiful day today here in God's Country, so after I made a run into town and got some stuff for working on the house with I got out in the backyard and fired up not only the furnace but also the cooker and throwed in some Rib's sorry that all of you'll couldn't be here to enjoy, they were good.

The burner worked better then I figured it would, it took and hour and a half to melt my A10 Silicon Carbide Crucible well over half full of Cast Iron, during most of the melt I had the propane turned off, and when I did have it on I never increased the pressure beyond about 3 PSI. You can sure tell the difference between it being on and it not being on. the melt got hot enough that I think I melted some more of the wall, I glanced at it when I pulled the crucible but we all know that a guy is kinda busy right about then and can't really let yourself be sidetracked, will have to check it in the morning. the part that I poured was a simple baseball bat shaped object about six inches long, not a big thing but something that I have been trying to make for the last couple of weeks, in between working for my employer and working on my house trying to get ready for winter.

The melt was hot enough that when I poured it the molten cast iron ran up the vents that I had poked in the cope part of the mold, this was to ensure a full pour as I was using a tapered sprue with the small part being about 1/2 inch in diameter, and the runner was only about two inches long and about a half inch wide with a rounded shape to it.

There was some shrinkage due to gate placement, the gate was in the small part of the bat, the small end of the bat showed shrinkage in the very end of it, and right beside the gate there was a small amount of shrinkage.

I have only a small ingot mold, that is made out of 2 inch angle iron it makes ingots about 4 inches long. I had enough melt too fill the mold all four sections of the ingot mold and what was left I poured on the grass and made some yard art. Wet green grass and rain soaked yard did not cause an explosion.

I would have to say that all in all I had a good day, the pour went off without a hitch, did run out of diesel in one jug and had to switch but there was no problems. I just grabbed the big jug and opened it up, stuck the fuel hose in and it picked up the fuel and we were back to burning, I am going to move the nozzle a half inch closer to the end of the burner tube, after pulling the burner and disassembling it, it looks like the flame is still hitting on the end of the burner tube, the added air passages that I drilled in the spin vane, well I didn't get it positioned just right so that the would all be open so it worked to a certin extend but not as well as I had hoped, I need to reposition it and see what happens with the next burn. I am really starting to like this burner.

Sorry for such a long winded post but you'll know how it is.

I used approximately an 1/8 cup of Fluorspar and half a cup of limestone dust as fluxing agents in the melt, when I went to pull the crucible all of the slag had collected on the surface and appeared to be froming a crust that was easy to scoop up with my skimmer. This was the easiest melt of Cast Iron that I have pulled slag from out of over 20 melts. I will differently be keeping track of this to see if it repeats.
I took some video but haven't done anything with it yet. kinda hard to be the camera man and the caster at the same time.

For those interested my little air compressor was able to keep up with not more trouble then if I was running a nail gun off of it, which is what the guy I trade for it, used it for. I have acquired one of Thomas Air Compressor like Harry is running on his burner but haven't had time to put it together yet. The Highest pressure setting that I used on the air today was 15 PSI.
David.

dallen

Post by dallen »

video of pretty crappy video but it shows the basics furnace running, iron thats been poured on the ground and in molds. today was a good pour, iron was plenty hot, I was able to get the slag off the top so that it didn't interfere with pouring the mold. you can see how warm it was by how it ran out of the ground, I wish I had of had a mold big enough to of poured it all into. I plan on weighing all of what was made into ingots, the actual part, and what I made yard art with to see how much I had in the crucible.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good to hear it is all working out so well for you David. I know you were a little apprehensive about going to this type of nozzle and just wanted a burner that worked rather than fiddling with a burner. Looks like you got a burner that worked out of the gate but you have been fiddling with it anyhow to make it even better. Seems we just cant get away from that. I have just been using the propane up to 1K* or so, from that point it seems to me that the heat of the furnace is vaporizing the oil so well it doesnt make a huge difference anyhow. I am running my air a little higher at about 20 PSI and would probably push it even higher for temperatures above aluminum but that is all I have done up to now with the propane connected.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

you have a much bigger burner opening in your furnace then I do also, which makes a lot of difference in how the things work. if I was to stick my burner in your furnace it would fall on its face probably. And yes I have fiddled with it and will probably do some more fiddling seeing as to how I have the tools to fiddle with it. I might as well cause thats a reason to not do carpentry work which I hate doing.

I think that yesterday I was running it a little on the rich side, but I wown't really know till I get some more melts in on it. I was thinking that I had really done the wall in yesterday but I checked it this morning and it seems to be in about the same shape as it was before I started, the nice thing is that the underside of the lid is in beautiful shape, but it was poured in too layers the half against the metal is insulating and cause I ran out I finished it with some 3000 high strength refractory same as whats in the bottom. But I seem one on Youtube this morning that I think instead of rebuilding this one I will build one like it. its a top hat design with the guy used basically a wench and pulley setup to raise and lower it plus having the lid so it can be swung to the side.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

If I had not gone the pit route I think I would have looked real hard at the top hat too. I am very happy with the pit though and the only change I would do for foundry 2.0 would be rather than a pit make a raised pouring floor so when pouring the orientation is the same but putting and retrieving molds from the floor would mean no bending.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

If I was in a building or under a roof I would go with an overhead hoist and take all the manual work out, thats what the tophat will do for me if I make a dolly to pick up the crucible, I bought an A20 should be here this week and one of them full of cast iron I don't think I can pick it up, I'm a pretty big guy but old messed up back I don't think so 20 years ago yea, today no. got a heck of a deal on the crucible from Mifco they wanted 123 for a 16 and this one was 117 so I went with the 20 Silicon Carbide

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That does sound like a great deal. What was total with shipping? Is it an A or bildge? I have yet to use my #20 but it will be for aluminum. I am going to get started doing some iron stuff after I get all set up in the other furnace with the 20, dont want to mess things up playing with iron when I have aluminum castings I need to keep making.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

not sure they list it as standard # 20 Silicon Carbide still a good price but I think its an a listed as holding 20 pounds of aluminum

I have a couple of ideas on how to handle it full of iron, but first I have to figure out the heat situation on melting iron in my ten, yesterday I had it hot enough it was running like water, today it froze before it could even start to fill the mold, but then I may of had too small of a sprue also.

But I did get a good pattern on the mortar that I have been trying to cast, I finished it with shellac and it pulled free and clear this time without tearing the inner part of the mold.

the compressor worked great not as noise as the pancake I was using. Kept up with the burner no problems, I used kerosene today I don't think it was getting as hot as diesel fuel.
Gonna switch back to diesel for next melt. Which won't be for a couple days, have to run to tulsa tomorrow or tuesday brother's having surgery on his neck.