oil syphon burners

The Heat is ON in Here.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: oil syphon burners

Post by Harry »

That sounds very high David, I only pay around a dollar a pound I think for mine but then I buy in 50 lb bags and use a healthy portion when scrapping but I dont use any when melting in a crucible. I am going to start degassing to try and clean out some very fine gas that sometimes appears in machined parts.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Hey David, you moved your videos and pics around in Photobucket, so now they are not linked in your posts. Can you re-link that last video you posted?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
dallen

Post by dallen »

fixed the photo problem thanks for bringing that up, I was doing a little house cleaning in the photobucket site and anyway the photos will show up and just incase I added a few more.

heres the link to the youtube

and the link to the album so that you can see all that I have posted
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... %20burner/
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

Ok all right after paying up the months bills to the tune of a couple thousand dollars, I had a little change left over so I pulled the trigger and ordered me up one of them Thomas compressors like O'l Harry bought himself, only problem is mine was a tad more like 92 dollars with shipping but its supposedly been rebuild. what sucks is I was in Amarillo on Sat. where the damn things at. I could of stopped and grabbed it.

Anyway maybe the neighbors won't have to listen to the other one

Well fedex just picked it up so it will be here next week

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I think you will like that pump David, I plumbed mine into a cross the has a quick connect M/F, Gauge and a petcock. I use the petcock as a bypass to adjust the pressure to the nozzle. Once I get a tank and a pressure switch to turn it on and off I will eliminate the bleeder and use a regulator off the tank.

I did find out one thing about mine. I had said before it would run about 20 PSI open flow through the nozzle. Well when I rebuilt the burner to include propane I found a major leak, fixed that and now the thing will push 50 PSI open flow and I only want 20 for aluminum. I have been using the propane at startup until the first pot it melted then I cut the propane and dial everything back to hit a holding temperature. Really liking having the propane available on the nozzle and for scrapping or higher temp metals it really seems to give a great boost.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

got the compressor today, haven't done anything with it, has a off noise may just be normal don't know yet, I plugged it in and it ran, so I didn't get a totally bad deal. I have a tank now all I need is a day to play and a pressure gauge, will have to run downtown and get a regular pressure switch for a compressor that will unload so it doesn't start against pressure.

I been thinking that I will get me a cheap two wheeler and mount all this junk on it so the fuel tank air tank air compressor electric controls and such are all in one spot. hell with all that a couple nozzles and a spark igniter off a grill and I get a free ride to the moon.

Yes the propane does give one hell of a kick when turned up a couple of pounds to say 4 psi.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I think those Wob-L design pistons do make a little bit of an odd noise, it should run really quiet though compared to your pancake compressor. Mounting it all on a handtruck sounds like a good idea for being able to store it away. I need to order up a pressure switch that will go from 40 to 60 PSI and unloader myself... My brother has one of those stand up 100 gallon propane tanks that are about 4' tall and 2 or 3' diameter I plan to use for storage. That should give a few minutes of off time for the pump on each cycle.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry wrote:I think those Wob-L design pistons do make a little bit of an odd noise, it should run really quiet though compared to your pancake compressor. Mounting it all on a handtruck sounds like a good idea for being able to store it away. I need to order up a pressure switch that will go from 40 to 60 PSI and unloader myself... My brother has one of those stand up 100 gallon propane tanks that are about 4' tall and 2 or 3' diameter I plan to use for storage. That should give a few minutes of off time for the pump on each cycle.
you use a tank that large you will probably be done casting before the compressor comes on using 15 to 20 psi thats if your air tight in all your fittings, Me I would fill the tank with propane and use a smaller one for an air tank making the compressor easier to move around.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The nozzle I use can eat up a fair bit of air, open flow at 20 PSI through it will cycle my 250 gallon tank every few hours and thats at 125 PSI in the tank. At 60 PSI in the 100 gallon tank for the little Thomas pump I am thinking it will cycle every half hour or so which would be fine by me, give the little pump some rest.

As far as using the tank for propane, I am sure it is out of date... the tank is in good shape and could be certified but I have no use for 100 gallons of propane. I have a 250 gallon tank we run the house on (which I need to fill and dreading finding out what the price is on propane now) and several 20 and loads of 5 gallon tanks I use for the BBQ, shop heater and now the furnace.

Your setup is a little different than mine in that you move your stuff around so the portability makes sense.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Ok I know I had to work on the house today but that doesn't mean that I didn't do someone my toys also. here is a couple of shots of a mod I did to the burner spin vane, in this first picture you will see that I have drilled a series of holes around the edge of the hole where it slips over the nozzle, hopefully these will do two things help with atomization and help cool the nozzle. I would like to have this thing be able to run in the free air for testing ideas and to scare the hell out of the neighbors.

This second picture is of the inside showing that I drilled all the way into the center bore.
Oh yea almost forgot I have a space ring made that will pull the nozzle back inside the tube about an inch, when I did the short video I had it pulled back about two inches which is farther then I think it needs to be, which is back far enough that the fuel doesn't inpinge on the end of the pipe, but not so far forward that the air spinning out of the tube can't affect the flame. Once I know where It burns best at I wil cut a spacer to that length and tack weld it to the back end of the tube and install a set screw in it to hold the gun in place.
By the way this burner has been a lot of fun to put together, I think that I have done a pretty good job with it seeing as I am cramming all this inside a two inch pipe.