My waste oil Burner

The Heat is ON in Here.
mite5255

My waste oil Burner

Post by mite5255 »

We'll the wheels of progress sometimes move rather slow here but I've finely completed my waste oil burner and tank storage. Hasn't been test fired yet as I'm looking after our two granddaughter and its not the thing that I want to be playing with while they're around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_COc7hFK8Q8
Last edited by mite5255 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Re: My Burner

Post by Harry »

Looks good Mike, pressurized tank? Nice filter setup.

One thing you might want to look for is some fine control valves. Oil burners go from intense to crazy with the slightest crack of a ball valve.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Re: My Burner

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Looks good Mike, pressurized tank? Nice filter setup.

One thing you might want to look for is some fine control valves. Oil burners go from intense to crazy with the slightest crack of a ball valve.
Yes Harry a pressurised tank I'm using a delavan nozzle and apparently they need about 80 psi to vaporise the oil so I though pressuring the tank would be the easiest way to do it. what type of fine control valves do you mean Harry

Mike
mite5255

Re: My wasre oil Burner

Post by mite5255 »

And that filter system will be changed, when I ordered it I though the oil would flow through one filter then the other, it flows through both at the same time, not what I wanted. I will end up with a system were I'll have oil going through one filter then the other to hopefully remove any crap that gets through the first

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

Mike click on the quote button after reading what I typed below on the first sentence

Mike sorry for jacking your video but if you will click quote you will be able to see what part of the youtube url that you need to get the video to show up in your post like I did. Nice looking burner that a Nudge style nozzle setup hiding in the pipe.

I gotta get back on tweaking mine around the last little bit, get it so its heating cast iron up to abour 2500 degrees so it will pour nice and hot, really sucks when the stuff turns to porridge in the pot and won't hardly dump out. Who knows maybe play with it today, too cold to work on the outside of the house.

David.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I bought a couple of these valves recently Mike. Have yet to use them but they seem to provide very fine adjustment.

Not sure what you will be able to do about adjustment with the standard pressurized nozzle setup as they need a certain amount of pressure to atomize properly. You might be able to get all of the adjustment available using air pressure. From what I understand that type of nozzle is either full on or off but then that is when using them in the beckett style home heating units where the oil pressure is not easily adjustable like your air setup will be. With the siphon nozzle like I use you can feed any amount of oil and it is atomized by the air stream so it always atomizes regardless of flow volume.

Also since I now realize what kind of setup this is, how much pressure are those oil filters/seals good for?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks Dave I'll give that a try next time

Harry I'll see how I go with the system that I have, if I have any issues I'll post them and I'm sure there will be heaps of constructive help, with regards to the filter seals taking the pressure I hope to find out on Thursday :roll: , wife sure will be pissed if I spray oil everywhere :shock:
dallen

Post by dallen »

Mike I don't know what type nozzle you have but the regular fuel nozzles that I used to work with in small oil heaters will turn down but your going to need a constant supply of oil to them to make it work. normally the lowest we would turn them down was around 70 to 90 pounds but we were also putting a lot of air into the system with large blower cages on the motors.

Give it a try if possible video it so if you have problems we can see those also, lots easier to help if the problem can be seen, also the hard data, IE fuel type, fuel pressure, air pressure, or air source. all these are important to knowing what is happening.

Oh yea find a barrel to spray it into so the wife don't get PO'ed
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Welll I had a bit of a trial on my burner today and it was not much of a success, I'm having some problems with getting enough pressure to atomise the oil, all I can get in the storage tank is about 70 psi, I'm on night shift to night so its going to have to wait till I come off shift

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Maybe I should use one of these instead of using the compressor http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEBSTER-M34D ... 1c1d9fa45a

Mike