My waste oil Burner

The Heat is ON in Here.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: My wasre oil Burner

Post by Harry »

That looks like it would work Mike. It has a bypass so the 25 GPH wont be any trouble. In fact it would do a lot of extra filtering of the oil and it would relieve any pressure concerns on the filters. If you can set it up with a variable speed motor you could have some adjustment on the fly by setting the pump to its highest pressure then backing down using the speed of the motor.

I wonder if one of those could stand in for the peristaltic pump on my setup by using a very low rpm. They are a positive displacement pump arent they? I dont need to make any real pressure with the fuel just a precisely metered and steady amount through the range of 1/4 to 3 GPH.

A couple things I dont care a lot for in the standard pressure nozzles are

1 - They require a specific level of pressure to begin atomizing otherwise they just pee a stream. This means the low end of fuel use is determined by the back pressure of the orifice size. This also means the range of adjustment isnt all that great though if you can vary pressure you can get some adjustment.

2 - They will foul, eventually they just gunk up and have to be changed.

To their credit they are inexpensive so replacing isnt that big of a deal unless it ends up needing to be done in the middle of a melt which it seems would probably be the case.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:That looks like it would work Mike. It has a bypass so the 25 GPH wont be any trouble. In fact it would do a lot of extra filtering of the oil and it would relieve any pressure concerns on the filters. If you can set it up with a variable speed motor you could have some adjustment on the fly by setting the pump to its highest pressure then backing down using the speed of the motor.

I wonder if one of those could stand in for the peristaltic pump on my setup by using a very low rpm. They are a positive displacement pump arent they? I dont need to make any real pressure with the fuel just a precisely metered and steady amount through the range of 1/4 to 3 GPH.

A couple things I dont care a lot for in the standard pressure nozzles are

1 - They require a specific level of pressure to begin atomizing otherwise they just pee a stream. This means the low end of fuel use is determined by the back pressure of the orifice size. This also means the range of adjustment isnt all that great though if you can vary pressure you can get some adjustment.

2 - They will foul, eventually they just gunk up and have to be changed.

To their credit they are inexpensive so replacing isnt that big of a deal unless it ends up needing to be done in the middle of a melt which it seems would probably be the case.
Thanks for the advice Harry I knew you or someone else with a few more brain cells then me would come back with some intelligent advice :D
I brought the pump today so now its just a waiting game for it to arrive, not to sure about them being positive displacement pump tho. I'll have a chat to the sparky at work to see about a variable speed motor. If I have to many issues with the nozzles that I have I change to a siphon nozzle and go from there
Its 5.15 friday afternoon and I'm about to leave for work, man I sure wish I could get off this shift work merry go-round :( pays the bills tho and gives me a bit extra cash so I guess this will be my life for awile yet :roll:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

one thing you can do is if you had an adapter for that nozzle where you could hook a return line from the nozzle back to the tank with an adjustable valve in it you could control the fuel pressure at the nozzle and not at the pump which would give you a very tune able burner, the bypass adjustment on the pump is really only good for gross adjustments not for something like turning it down a pound or two to adjust for air to fuel ratio's.

We use on hot oil system that when the thing lights up it is at about 70 psi but when it goes to high fire its at around 270. They use a variable bypass to achieve the desired fuel pressure, others use solenoid valves and a Bypass valve.

With either system I have locked them open so that they would stay on low fire and then adjust the air to fuel ratio to achieve the desired temperature in the heat transfer oil that was needed to heat the storage tanks.

you will save yourself a lot of troubles by filtering the oil as you put it into the tank then before you try to put it to the nozzle. One problem to watch for using that pump is cavitation in the pump due to low oil flow which can be caused by several things like the pump running against a closed valve with a very low bypass rate.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:one thing you can do is if you had an adapter for that nozzle where you could hook a return line from the nozzle back to the tank with an adjustable valve in it you could control the fuel pressure at the nozzle and not at the pump which would give you a very tune able burner, the bypass adjustment on the pump is really only good for gross adjustments not for something like turning it down a pound or two to adjust for air to fuel ratio's.

We use on hot oil system that when the thing lights up it is at about 70 psi but when it goes to high fire its at around 270. They use a variable bypass to achieve the desired fuel pressure, others use solenoid valves and a Bypass valve.

With either system I have locked them open so that they would stay on low fire and then adjust the air to fuel ratio to achieve the desired temperature in the heat transfer oil that was needed to heat the storage tanks.

you will save yourself a lot of troubles by filtering the oil as you put it into the tank then before you try to put it to the nozzle. One problem to watch for using that pump is cavitation in the pump due to low oil flow which can be caused by several things like the pump running against a closed valve with a very low bypass rate.
That's a very good idea Dave thanks you. One of the reason why I was filtering the oil out of the tank is the tank is full of rust scale and it would be difficult to remove, I do now have another compressor tank which is not as old so hopefully will be cleaner inside

Mike
mite5255

Re: My waste oil Burner

Post by mite5255 »

I fired up the oil burner again today, I havent hooked up the oil pump yet so I tried a water spray nozzle that we use at work plus I plumbed in a LPG line into the burner so I can start on LPG then switch over to oil. Wellllllll the gas worked well I let it heat up for a few minutes then switched on the oil WOOW what a flame I got, you were right Harry its ether full on or off with a ball valve, it got rather exciting there for a few moments 8-) no photos yet or video, a mate wants me to do some casting done and will be coming over tomorrow so I'll make a few adjustments and get the mate to video what's going on

Mike
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Look forward to the video Mike. Its not just the ball valve, a needle valve on the fuel supply will help you tune a title but the nature of pressure atomizing nozzles is that they need a certain amount of pressure/flow to atomize so sizing the nozzle for the amount of heat you want is where its at. This will give you a narrow range which would do for say aluminum and bronze because they are quite a way apart. An air atomizing nozzle does not care how much or little oil is going through it so you can adjust across the full range of flow as long as you can control how much oil is going in which is why I like the metering pump so much.

Now all this really doesnt matter if what you want to do is fire up the furnace and blaze to a pot or two of metal to pour molds you have made up. It does come into play when you want to fire the furnace up at the beginning of a casting day and make molds and pour all day because you want that time between pots to make up more molds, shake out the poured ones and mull your sand.

For me making big fire is the easy part, making that fire hold a temperature within a few tens of degrees has been a long tough row.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I didn't get to play to much with the burner today but it sure runs well on LPG, hope to get more time tomorrow
http://youtu.be/YUBVsmOMPNQ

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wellllllll I finely got waste oil burning at a rate of 100%without smoking out the neihbourhood :roll: I got a hydraulic valve and it works extremely well after a good pre heat with LPG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YQNonE ... e=youtu.be

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That just sounded so smooth and quiet.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wellll I'm still have a few issues with the oil burner, I just cannot get it to run on its own again , I have even waited till I had done a pour and every thing was up to temp but no go :evil: , so I've decided to build another burner like Dave's( dallan ) :D using 2 inch pipe and fittings

Mike
IMG_0269.JPG