HVAC burner question

The Heat is ON in Here.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: HVAC burner question

Post by Harry »

Hehe... any way you slice it if you want to control the furnace for a holding temperature there is going to be some level of complexity.

Thing to remember is though that this all depends on how you want to do your pours and if you have help while doing them. If someone is watching the furnace or if you do all of your molding for a casting session ahead of time (or have enough time while the melt is running to finish up) you dont need this control. Just run balls out until you are there then pour, for many metals this is the suggested way of melting anyhow because melting slow or holding just gives the opportunity for gasses to be absorbed. For me it just works out as a better use of my time to mold while pouring over the course of several hours and before I got control of my heat I was often overheating melts by missing them by only a few minutes.

The dwell time sounds like it could work out, the whole thing boils down to the mass and insulation of the furnace shell, the charge and the amount of fuel per hour introduced into the furnace. Might be a little tricky getting the dwell right for them temperature you want and you would want it to run full out while ramping up then taper off when you get there so a PID and sensor would be the ticket but setting one up is beyond me, if you get there share your insights :)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Re: HVAC burner question

Post by dallen »

I'm going to throw in with Harry on this one, but I think you will find that its not going to be easy to do.

Loved the video on the wax carving.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette