syphon burner I been working on

The Heat is ON in Here.
dallen

syphon burner I been working on

Post by dallen »

heres a picture of a little something I been working on for a guy in Tulsa.
Attachments
dougs-burner.jpg
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Re: syphon burner I been working on

Post by Jammer »

Looks very proffesional. Can enough air get through the turbo to get a clean burn, and what kind of blower are you planning on using?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

this is a burner that I put together for a guy in Tulsa, its the same as mine except for a couple things like the air inlet on mine is at 90 degrees instead of 45 smoother air transition. the spin vane is different on mine the slots are a bit wider not much and the back end is sloped other then that and he's going to use a .75 GPH nozzle quick as he gets his furnace going. its design is to burn oil and gas either seperately or together. and to answer your question Jammer yes there will be enough air to melt cast iron with it. on mine it run a Vacuum Cleaner blower motor at about 30 volts and 4 to 5 psi of propane if I am not going to use the oil, I use diesel but Harry runs what ever in his. I believe that he also switched over to a little help with the propane on start up, that little bit of gas really makes a difference in how it burns and the amount of heat that you get.

the flame pressure with the oil and LP is just about perfect, heres a link to mine running melting cast iron sorry the vids on the short side, but I melted an A10 full of cast iron that day, I have since switched to a Thomas Air Pump like Harry did for his burner. I don't have mine hooked up to a big tank as Harry did cause I don't run it all day like he does. I would like to find a two wheeler to mount the air pump, fuel tank and Assorted others bits an pieces onto.

Nice thing is the body tube is 2 inch pipe. so the things isn't greatly oversized for sticking into a smaller furnace. And some one said something about it burning behind the spinvane as long as the blower is one that can't happen. the basic design you see in the photo above is from an industrial burner set up to do the exact thing this one does which is to burn combination fuels either seperately or together

Jammer I think that may of been the pour that I made the gift that I sent too you.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I love the little Thomas pump. From what I have read they are rated from 10 to 25K hours of operation and are easily rebuildable. I do have it on the tank now and its working out great but even running it with a bleeder to waste off unneeded air continuous over 6 hrs or more it never got over 110*

Man David, that burner is sweet. Nice clean setup, I still think I prefer the propane with the pressurized air even with the extra controls it needs but then I have yet to try it your way which I probably should because it is simpler. I do love the way it runs with the tiniest amount of propane. Last I checked I was at about half pound an hour so I dont even bother to shut it off once it warms up because it still helps in keeping the furnace burning so clean.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

it does make the oil burn a lot cleaner, I know on my setup that I can get with the lpg running and the blower on the varaic so I can really turn it down , those HF router speed controllers don't go low enough. the burner is so clean people talk about the flame being yellow well in mine its all blue when you look inside the only yellow is from the walls glowing yellow or white.

F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Dayum... did ya just run a quarter mile before you pulled the pot and poured? Or was you so exicited it got you hyperventillated? HAHAHA. That thing burns sweet, indeed. I seriously caution you about the blower motor, though... it sounds like it'll give out in an instant without notice other than the severe rattling it's giving in that video. I had a motor once do that. I was on the shitter at the time. Had a friend watch the furnace. Suddenly he come bail'n into the bathroom shout'n for me to do something 'cause the place was going to burn down!! Without wipe'n I leaped to my feet, ripped my pants up to my waste, did a quick snap, then blasted through the shop door in time to see a 8" column of flame running from my furnace to the 15 ft. ceiling and expanding all across the underside of the roof. While still in motion, I did a home run side slide to home plate just under the flameworks and hit the lever to the gas in an off position then paused to watch the flame come free of the furnace and exhaust itself at the ceiling. At a quick instant, my periferial vision caught sight of my gas/air induction tube glow'n at the furnace wall so I quickly pulled that out and to my surprise out come a shit wad of white hot molten steel from the crucible base i made out of 2" thick steel ships mast and refractory. Wholy CRAP!! That was a surprise!! It was also my first furnace and had just run it through a trial run to cure the refractory and see what it would do up to full blast in temps. That's propane and air, btw. My flame wasn't a flame, just a roar till the walls began to glow. If bronze was in the pot there'd be a slight hue of green at the furnace exhaust outlining where a flame otherwise would be expected. That sumbitch would get HOT, HOT HOT!!! Melt 240 lbs of bronze in just under 30 minutes. Just under 40 minutes to pour'n temp. Seriously, though... that air blower you got has a death rattle in it. Watch yer self.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Dayum... did ya just run a quarter mile before you pulled the pot and poured?
Hazzards of having had five way bypass surgery.
nice story for the grand kids F.C, these are little bitty burners to me the biggest burner I ever had to work on was about 750,000,000 BTU's damn thing would cook rocks making asphalt at 700 tons an hour at 310 degrees all day.

This little ole thing before modifing to burn oil, I have had the blower running almost full with 30 PSI of LPG on it.

In that video that its running on oil with about 4 to 5 PSI of LPG the furnace also has an A10 that is almost completely full of Cast Iron. But if it does run away on me its going to have to get a pretty long flame to reach anything that is above it, if there happens to be a plane in the vacinity. I think think the nozzle is a little too large, and believe that is what is causing the rattle or pulsing in flame when its running on oil. But I have to get off my butt an order a new smaller on to actually find out. Other wise it burns hot, clean, and cheap.

DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Nice burner you have there. How do you make the spray nozzle part of it?
dallen

Post by dallen »

buy it. lots easier then making one, the inner parts of the nozzle are beyond my machining skills at the present time. there is one little pieces that no way could I make one, well i probably could but it would take some chip making on my part the damn things shaped like a mushroom, with a little tiny tube. be pretty easy to make on a cnc rig.

the spin vane on the nozzle I hack it out of a hunk of round bar on the mill using a 5C hex block to hold the part.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yeah the Hago nozzle is a nice piece of kit and for $50 (for both the nozzle and the adapter) it would be tough to make and save anything on by doing it yourself. I have several of them, DavidF, do a google search for patriot supply and hago siphon and all you have to do is wait for the mail man. I have made a couple of tiny atomizer nozzles and they work good, the way they work is real simple and I would certainly not discount out of hand making one. If you do a search on the AA forum for w3no mini you will find mine and nudges is fairly simple to make also.

David, I have used a 0.20 gph along with the pump. Too small for a gravity feed system but if you are pushing your oil the specs dont count and the smaller nozzle you can use the higher velocity the same amount of air will be coming out of it and that means better atomizing.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller