Diesel Oil Burner

The Heat is ON in Here.
PatJ

Diesel Oil Burner

Post by PatJ »

I build a new oil burner the other day.
It is rather experimental, but I am toying with the idea of casting a 36" tall steam engine, and perhaps purchasing a larger crucible, maybe a #70 or larger if it will fit in my furnace.

So I decided to try and make sure I could melt that much metal, maybe 175 lbs of iron, so built this burner with a 3" dia burner tube and a 1hp blower.

I think the blower is overkill for my #30 crucible with iron, but no problem to damper the intake down a bit.

It seems to work ok so far, I tried it out twice just to get the feel for operating it.

You don't want to screw around with one this size without having a fuel and compressed air shutoff valve next to your hand at all times. A flame-out takes quick action to get the fuel off.

I use diesel so that I can get a clean burn with no smoke, and I don't bother the neighbors.
The blower is quiet. It is a Grizzly dust colletor blower.

The nozzle is a Delavan siphon-type with a slightly pressurized fuel tank (perhaps 20 lbs).
Attachments
rIMG_2051.jpg
Jammer

Re: Diesel Oil Burner

Post by Jammer »

175# !! Sounds like huge Cupola territory!! We'll have to talk about some of my crazy ideas sometime.;)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

And the new burner in action.

It can put more fuel into the furnace than it can atomize, and I am pushing a 1 gph delevan nozzle to somewhere between 2 and 4 gal/hr.

I may need to make a larger spray nozzle to get a slower lower pressure flow with more atomization over a larger area, but it works ok at about 2 gal/hr.
Attachments
rIMG_2058.jpg
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Where are you located Pat?
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

I am in TN