Gas Burner

The Heat is ON in Here.
mite5255

Gas Burner

Post by mite5255 »

To appease my neighbors, I build a gas burner and I've been having a few issues with it, as can be seen from the youtube clip I can get enough temperature 1150 c is 2100 f or there abouts, the burner tube is 11,5 inches long and is made from 1 1/2 tube reducing socket on the end is a 2 inch to 1 1/2, nozzle is a mig tip drilled out to 1.5 mm or 60 tho. The problem that I'm having is that when it gets up to temp and bronze starts to melt the flames suxs down the tube and starts burning near the nozzle, It then burns very inefficiently , and I cannot get any more heat, the heat actually starts to drop, I need help, this is starting to really piss me off, wife's getting a bit peeved also because I'm sooo pissed off :?

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Gas Burner

Post by dallen »

your probably not getting enough air try blowing a hair dryer in the back end when its running
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I would try some forced air as well. The tube is heating up and then ignites the gas, maybe try to pull the pipe back a little out of the heat. What kind of gas pressure are you using? 1.5 mm opening sounds huge, I think most are .30 mm or smaller.

Why do wives get mad when we are mad??? Is it some kind of competition?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Added a airline to my burner and it worked a treat, furnace temp maxed out at 1233 c or 2251 f
Thanks to Dave and Jerry :D

dallen

Post by dallen »

your welcome, it takes about 24 cubic feet of oxygen to burn one cubic foot of propane gas

DA

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It's all a balancing act. 8-)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:It's all a balancing act. 8-)
yes its still a balancing act, try it on a burner running at 14 gallons a minute on oil, or NG with a 6 inch supply line running 7 PSI line pressure. the ratios stay the same.

he would actually be better off with a hair dryer which would take a big load off the air compressor. But the way he has it rigged he is getting one heck of a turbulent flow out the end of the tube which is mixing the air and gas stream pretty good.

Would like to see a video in widescreen format that shows the burner running in the furnace if possible, Mike how far in the furnace do you have the Tube, I would keep the end of the metal tube inside the refractory wall to protect it, and to let the refractory act as a flame holder.

DA

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
Jammer wrote:It's all a balancing act. 8-)
yes its still a balancing act, try it on a burner running at 14 gallons a minute on oil, or NG with a 6 inch supply line running 7 PSI line pressure. the ratios stay the same.

he would actually be better off with a hair dryer which would take a big load off the air compressor. But the way he has it rigged he is getting one heck of a turbulent flow out the end of the tube which is mixing the air and gas stream pretty good.

Would like to see a video in widescreen format that shows the burner running in the furnace if possible, Mike how far in the furnace do you have the Tube, I would keep the end of the metal tube inside the refractory wall to protect it, and to let the refractory act as a flame holder.

DA
I'll do the vidio Dave, but it won't be for a few days I'm working and won't finish till Monday morning my time....I'm thinking I might try a burner using a 2 inch burner tube, I'm hoping it may give me a higher temp, would that work Dave?
dallen

Post by dallen »

[quote="mite5255I'll do the vidio Dave, but it won't be for a few days I'm working and won't finish till Monday morning my time....I'm thinking I might try a burner using a 2 inch burner tube, I'm hoping it may give me a higher temp, would that work Dave?[/quote]

with the numbers you showed a couple post back you shouldn't have any problems reaching bronze temps you only need about one or two hundred more degrees.

find a thrift store and get a hair dryer, your air compressor will thank you for it, tap the fuel line into the side of the pipe back by where your going to stick the hair dryer and you should be find with a two inch pipe. Adjust the burner so that its really rich flames coming out the top full dragons breath, then adjust it back so the flame is just inside the furnace that should be the hottest it will burn, once you know the sound you can do it in your sleep, about as hard as adjusting the carb on the lawn mower.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:[quote="mite5255I'll do the vidio Dave, but it won't be for a few days I'm working and won't finish till Monday morning my time....I'm thinking I might try a burner using a 2 inch burner tube, I'm hoping it may give me a higher temp, would that work Dave?
with the numbers you showed a couple post back you shouldn't have any problems reaching bronze temps you only need about one or two hundred more degrees.

find a thrift store and get a hair dryer, your air compressor will thank you for it, tap the fuel line into the side of the pipe back by where your going to stick the hair dryer and you should be find with a two inch pipe. Adjust the burner so that its really rich flames coming out the top full dragons breath, then adjust it back so the flame is just inside the furnace that should be the hottest it will burn, once you know the sound you can do it in your sleep, about as hard as adjusting the carb on the lawn mower.[/quote]I have done a bronze melt already using gas, furnace temp maxed out at 1233 deg c, 2251 deg f, I'll make a new one out of two inch pipe and I'll try the hair dryer