digital temperature

From Crucibles to Tongs to Pyrometers, the Tools on the Foundry Floor.
dallen

digital temperature

Post by dallen »

I just snagged this out of evil bay for the paltry sum of with shipping 47 dollars.

David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Re: digital temperature

Post by Jammer »

Do you know what the max temp rating is? I've got one similar to that but it only goes to 999 F. I've only used it for lead.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Personally, I like like this kind of device instead. It's a little more versatile, not only does it display the temperature you can also use it for thermostatic control, have a wide temperature range and can be programmed to accept input from a wide variety of temperature sensors and thermocouples. Devices like this are on ebay all the time for about $30 +shipping. If anyone's interested in something like this, just search ebay for the term "PID temperature controller". And if you're interested in building an electric kiln or furnace and would like to be able to control the rate at which it heats up or cools down search for a "ramp soak controller". Ramp/soak controllers currently cost $80-90 + shipping pretty good value for money imo.

dallen

Post by dallen »

got two of em, with one of them having a RS485 option on it so I can hook it to my laptop for programming instead of having to push little buttons.
Last edited by dallen on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dallen

Post by dallen »

returned home this morning from having some really bad coffee at the local choke and puke, to find two boxes sitting on my front porch, one had the digital thermometer in it, so I politely hooked up a thermal couple to it and stuck it in the flame of the cookstove let the reading run up till it hit 1100 degrees, that should be good enough to say the thing will work up to 2250 I belive is where K type thermal couple flake out at. So now to make a tube to put that nice hefty thermal couple that I got from Mifco into. anyone used the lance probes from Mifco things got like a 5/8" diameter graphite end about 8 inches long on it. I know aluminum won't hurt it brass and bronze I wouldn't think would, Cast Iron MIGHT, so need some pointers.

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I've been using one of those Mifco probes in bronze to 2300F and it's holding up great.

I use a $4.95 Harbor Freight multimeter. That works great too. I did buy two of them. After all it is Harbor Freight.

Richard
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

And you want to be careful about those ceramic sheaths. The ones I have seen are for using in a furnace or kiln where the temperature rises gradually. To stick it in a pot of molten metal, even after pre-heating it, would be too much of a thermal shock. Don't ask me how I know.

R