I made a torch

From Crucibles to Tongs to Pyrometers, the Tools on the Foundry Floor.
Rasper

I made a torch

Post by Rasper »

Today I tried out my new torch for real. It began several years ago when I ran across plans for an acetylene torch in an old 1950 Popular Science magazine. (That was back when Popular Science was about making things, rather than about buying the latest gadgets.) I bought the necessary parts but never put it together. Then all of a sudden I needed a big torch to weld the head onto my latest casting. My Smith Little Torch is fine for small sculptures but not for this.

Down here in Mexico torches are expensive. Plus I already have two at my shop in California. The problem is I haven't been up there in over a yer and I needed a torch now.

Here is what I made:

I bought the tip at Harbor Freight back when I was buying the rest of the parts. It's about the size of a Victor 3 1/2. (I know—Victor doesn't make a 3 1/2, but if they did . . . )

Man, this thing really welds. Beautiful flame.

Richard
mite5255

Re: I made a torch

Post by mite5255 »

I need a gas torch here, but with the cost on already renting a mig welding gas bottle ( $190 per year )the cost of a oxy bottle on top would then put my gas bottle rent for the year for two bottles up to $380,
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Man, they really burn you up down there in Oz. Here you don't rent tanks. You just pay a deposit of about 700 dollars AU and then buy the gas as you use it. When you return the tanks you get your deposit back. Or you can buy your own tanks. I have my own tanks so there is no deposit nor any rent, just the cost of the gas.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

Rasper wrote:Man, they really burn you up down there in Oz. Here you don't rent tanks. You just pay a deposit of about 700 dollars AU and then buy the gas as you use it. When you return the tanks you get your deposit back. Or you can buy your own tanks. I have my own tanks so there is no deposit nor any rent, just the cost of the gas.

Richard

think I gave about 300 for the pair that I have, and that was about 30 years ago when I bought them, which reminds me that I need to get the Oxy bottle filled.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette