Bronze and Brass

Melting Points, Pouring Tips and Properties... Metal is the Foundries Lifeblood.
_FL_

Bronze and Brass

Post by _FL_ »

Composition of Bronze and Brass:

http://sipimetals.com/bronzeandbrass/
Jammer

Re: Bronze and Brass

Post by Jammer »

That some great info, all in one spot, easy to figure out. :)
Thanks
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

Jammer wrote:That some great info, all in one spot, easy to figure out. :)
Thanks
Yes, very interesting information. I´m gonna try some Silicone compositions in the near future, just for curiosity.
Still got the sample for you. Thanks for the great offer, it will make it´s journey to you soon.
I shoot you a PM before, since at last a quarter of your population is on the move. 8-)
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Am I missing something? The numbers listed under the base metals must be "Parts" correct? Some rows add up to more than 100%
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I saw that on a couple too. Wondering if it is a mistake or if there is some reason.

I like the looks of those Tin Bronzes with no Pb or Zn, no issues of lower melt point metals and burning/boiling off. Bell metal, 81 Cu and 19 Sn doesnt get much simpler than that. It will be nice one day to make up and pour a bunch of these different alloys for making comparisons. Thinking have three molds for each one, a piece that demonstrates ability to pick up fine detail and pour into small voids like a flow test of sorts, a stair step piece for destructive testing and last a labeled ingot to pour off the rest.

EDIT*** Just realized that was Sn not Si in the bell metal. I suppose the Sn will still present problems of burning off at pouring temperature. Anyone aware of particular things to watch for with Sn like the magic white smoke with Zn?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

Harry wrote:EDIT*** Just realized that was Sn not Si in the bell metal. I suppose the Sn will still present problems of burning off at pouring temperature. Anyone aware of particular things to watch for with Sn like the magic white smoke with Zn?
Yes, I tried tin bronze with est. 10% tin. There is no magic white smoke. It is the nicest alloy you can think of concerning color and touch. I made a mistake when I mix up different alloys. It´s better to keep them separate. And with tin bronze you have to develop your own melting procedures (deoxidation).
That´s why I like Si-bronzes so much. It´s very easy and you get clean metal to pour. Think the silicon prevents it from oxidation. There is no big problem to remelt the metal over and over. In order you only have to remelt the sprues etc. and the castings go out of the process.

Problems with Sn are not so big but somehow it changes more with melting and pouring than Si-bronzes.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the info FL, I keep soaking all of this stuff up and one day I might actually begin adding metals other than aluminum to my foundry work. Next up is iron for me because I have some things I want to make now but the Brass/Bronzes are around the corner.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller